Just looking for an opinion from bicycle lovers out there!

GoldenMotor.com

Do you think ADDICTED should be considered a "green" company?

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hello there, I've posted a thread similar to this, but this time I'm posting for opinions on an expansion of my company, ADDICTED MOTORBICYCLES. While this new company prospect still includes gas engine conversion kits, I am now going to focus mainly on bicycles in general. I figure there's a larger market out there when the engine kits are not the main focus, plus I'll be able to help make a difference on this planet during my time, as I am basing my company on recycling old and garbage bicycles, restoring them from death, and keeping our beloved rides out of the dumps!

Now I understand this is a motorbicycling forum, and while still related, I know it's a little off topic. I apologize if a thread like this is not allowed, and if the administrators choose to remove this thread, then I understand. I just want opinions and to advertise to a population that I know has a lot to do with bicycles, here is the best site I know of.

So please let me know your opinions on my work, give me suggestions if you have any, and please, feel free to become a member of the ADDICTED BICYCLES website!

Thanks guys.
Damien.

Attachments

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hello there, I've posted a thread similar to this, but this time I'm posting for opinions on an expansion of my company, ADDICTED MOTORBICYCLES. While this new company prospect still includes gas engine conversion kits, I am now going to focus mainly on bicycles in general. I figure there's a larger market out there when the engine kits are not the main focus, plus I'll be able to help make a difference on this planet during my time, as I am basing my company on recycling old and garbage bicycles, restoring them from death, and keeping our beloved rides out of the dumps!

Now I understand this is a motorbicycling forum, and while still related, I know it's a little off topic. I apologize if a thread like this is not allowed, and if the administrators choose to remove this thread, then I understand. I just want opinions and to advertise to a population that I know has a lot to do with bicycles, here is the best site I know of.

So please let me know your opinions on my work, give me suggestions if you have any, and please, feel free to become a member of the ADDICTED BICYCLES website!

Thanks guys.
Damien.
Hi Damien,

I've read your post several times. Am still confused. Could be the beer.

But how would saving old bikes help the environment? Wouldn't melting them down and reusing the metal be better for the environment than sanding, bead blasting, chemically stripping, repainting, adding an engine, filling it with petroleum products, and riding it around actually be worse for the environment?

Why do you hate the environment?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome concept AM. Is win/win/win. Great on all fronts, recycle/reuse, nostalgia and is a good biz endeavor. Your right about the larger market too.

Met a guy a while back who was retired. Every day he goes to the dump and even if he only wants a wheel or what ever, they make him take the whole bike. But he has every part I could imagine and, I am guessing 300 or 400 bikes ready for sale. I told him he should clist that he would remove old bikes for free from barns, garages, homes etc. (He "don't like that computer stuff") lol

On your web page, could have a "wish-list" sort of thing where folks could ask you to keep an eye out for hard to find parts.

All around, I think this is a winner of an idea. Please let me know how ya do and best of luck!

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Going to add the wishlist!! That's an amazing idea! Thank you DAN! To answer your question rockhopper, I don't know how it is in other places around the world, but here, bicycles are scrapped just because the derailler skips, or something like that. It's sad how many bikes are destroyed just because of the metal, and people wanting money. I am a bicycle lover, and a lover of the environment, so by taking these bikes and restoring them, they remain bicycles, and benefit someone else who needs/wants a bike. When they buy a bike from me, it's recycled, but like new. So instead of scrapping an old bike, and buying a new bike, waste waste waste, you're helping be a bit more green by buying a bike previously owned before. The prices will be much cheaper then in the department stores, so it'll be a good, and hopefully popular place to shop for a bike. Engine kits are only a secondary option, the main focus is pedal bicycles. There are so many ways that this concept is good for the environment, and even if the engine kits are a bit of a contradiction, the fact still remains that it's another car not on the road, and it's a lot less fuel consumption in the long run. It's a total win/win/win situation. Like Dan said. ;)

Last edited:

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's not really a win/win/win.

It's only a win if you save a classic from destruction.

And even then you are doing no favor to the environment. You're only doing a favor to the historical record.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks guys.
Damien.
For posterity.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Sorry you feel that way rockhopper. I am responding to your opinion, which you are entitled to, and I did ask for, by posting a vote. Please feel free to go vote no. If enough people agree that "green" should be dropped, then I will drop it. That is the whole point of this thread. Constructive criticism. So thank you for your opinion.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hi Damien,

I've read your post several times. Am still confused. Could be the beer.

But how would saving old bikes help the environment? Wouldn't melting them down and reusing the metal be better for the environment than sanding, bead blasting, chemically stripping, repainting, adding an engine, filling it with petroleum products, and riding it around actually be worse for the environment?

Why do you hate the environment?
*shrug* and melting old bikes to make new is any better than jus' cleanin' em up? I doubt it... "melting them down" isn't "green" either heh

sanding: little effect on environment, the stuff was already here - yer jus' moving it.
bead blasting: is glass usually, inert & the stuff yer blastin off? Same as above.
chemically stripping: K- now that's kinda nasty, and also not the easiest way to restore a bike - I'd be surprised if it's common.
repainting: new bikes get painted too = moot point.
adding an engine, filling it with petroleum products, and riding it around: every mile rode ona MB is one less in a car FTW

Sorry lol, it's just a pet peeve of mine how little "recycling" is truly well thought out - no offense mang ;)

Sure, keep "green" - it sells and no one understands it anyway *shrug*

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
chemically stripping: K- now that's kinda nasty, and also not the easiest way to restore a bike - I'd be surprised if it's common.
Yes, some of us eccentric use that method, but the chemical nastiness is counteracted by the fact that it conserves TIME.

Sometimes a very important commodity.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, sorry, very well put guys! I agree! Metal refining is definitely not environment friendly, and the bikes have already been processed once. What I would do to the bicycle is not nearly as harmful as melting it down, and creating god knows what with it. At least this way, the bicycle stays a bicycle, and can continue to be used. BarelyAwake, you've pretty much summed up my opinion on the matter. lol.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I am not dealing with any chemicals at all, except paints, grease and fuel. lol. Maybe some cleaners and stuff. Not completely green, but then again, never claimed to be green really, claimed to be making a small effort towards being green. In any case, I have further updated the site, taking into consideration everything that has so far been posted.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
ANYTHING that is kept up, maintained, re-used or re-cycled is better than "re-cycling" it into a new crappy low quality made in China whatever.

"But to not destroy"!