Rag Joint with Washers?

GoldenMotor.com

tzvii

Jun 23, 2013
sc
Hello,

I just received my engine kit in the mail and am having a real pain installing the sprocket rag joint.
The spokes on my wheel are extra thick, and cause the bolts to angle inwards when they are put through. This makes it so that there is no way that the metal pieces at the end will ever fit on.
Do you think that it would be strong enough without the 3 metal end bits, and instead putting washers on the end of each bolt? I'm thinking that is the only way it will be going on there.

Let me know if you think it would be strong enough with washers,
Thanks.

Picture:

I know that the other piece of rubber goes on the other side, it is just a pain to get on just for a picture, and only makes the bolts angle in even more.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first thing is whether you have 36 spokes or some other number - anything other than 36 is much harder

also a pic would help

I'd first try it in diff places with no rubbers just to see if a place can be found between spokes that has enough room.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure what you mean when you say the post disappeared. The post and your photo is there and a member has responded to your question. All of your duplicate posts have been removed.

As to your question; I would strongly suggest against not using the metal plates on the inside rubber. Also as was mentioned above, count your spokes. A rim with 32 spokes will not lend itself to the installation of a rag joint. The sprocket and the rag joint are designed for 36 spoke rims.

Tom

tzvii

Jun 23, 2013
sc
Thanks, and sorry for the double posts.

The rim has 36 spokes, but it doesn't seem to be fitting. I will try to find another wheel.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
It'll fit. i've done it before. you need a thin screwdriver to use as a guide (like a spud wrench .)

Get one bolt thru on each plate, then wiggle the screwdriver through a hole. tweak the screwdriver back and forth and jam a bolt in another hole. Put the nuts on super loose so everything moves but the bolts won't fall out.

If you have a nutdriver or a small deep dish socket, put that on the nut end and use it like a lever to tweak everything around.

Its a pain, but it should work.

tzvii

Jun 23, 2013
sc
Problem solved, I just had to widen the holes in the metal and rubber, and cut a tiny section off of the back rubber. Fits together easily now. Thanks for the help.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
It does look a bit tight. There are two sizes of rag joint rubbers, but I believe that if the spokes won't bend a bit to allow the bolts thru the small triangles where they are now, I'd next try the bolts thru the larger area away from the spokes. Not sure how well that would hold, but during the centering process, you should be able to feel how well they're holding position.

EDIT: oops - posted crossed