BAMF's 1st build Schwinn DelMar

GoldenMotor.com

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
So i have been on this site reading and learning everything i can for i think a year now. and i just got my 1st MB, i put it off way to long.

Starting with a Schwinn Del Mar from wal-mart (not a bad deal at $99) i went with a 66cc RAW from Productswith free shipping (ok now when i see Free shipping i assume cheapest and slowest methed there is ) not with these guys it was here in just a few days.

i dont like the rear sproket mount so i ordered one from MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm they make one thats made to fit the Del Mar(Hub Falcon cf e10)

i dont trust the stock idler setup i will make my own.

Here is my 1st build a Schwinn DelMar

Some pics of a few mods and after market items

1. cheap speedo
2. cable was rattling on fender
3. zip tied cable to fender
4. center stand
5. i was cutting a slit in my fender for my chain, and did a bad job (wrong tool) so i cut it right across i like it better like this now that its done

Attachments

Last edited:

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
ok afew more pics

1. Norm's white wire tail light will be mounted here

after about 40 miles with the stock idler i now know i want to make my own, i dont trust it so here i go

2-4 So i clamped an Aluminum bar 2" wide 1/8" thick to my frame (WOW thats ugly)
5. i gave it a face lift thats much better

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Looks great,i have a delmar and i used rubber under my mounts just like you did.
Im also working on making a tensioner to go from frame to frame.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
looks good, but be DAMN sure your fenders are stout. I have seen way too many pictures of nasty wrecks because of the fenders getting down onto the tire at speed. Its best to just remove them all togeather

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
hey folks heres some more info

1. front motor mount
2. rear motor mount
3. headlight mount

i had a leak somewhere from the gas tank to my carb so i ziptied everything
4. ziptie carb
5. ziptie inline filter

Attachments

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
BAMF. I couldn't really figure out what to get for a bike. I think I'll get this one now. I have a set of black RockShox I think I'll put on the front with disc brakes. I think this setup would look sweet with the rims painted brick red. Thanks for the posts. I'm gonna order that hub adapter too. How many teeth on your sprocket though??
update: I just called the local bike shop to ask about disc brakes. They said that the wheel on my walmart schwinn wouldn't fit a disc. The wheel that would is another $70. Now I'm not so sure what to do. again. I just want to make sure that I have enough stopping power, just incase.

Last edited:

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
The front fender looks odd since it's on backwards.
yeah Moto i feel the same way. but i needed to have room for front brakes, the fender has bends in it to let brakes slide over it. in the proper position the bends are in the front of the fork but i would like my brakes to be on the back side of the fork so it will not make the front end look so crowded.

and its a small way to brake away from the common motorized DelMar look

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
dont worry i like the way the front fender is, it gives it that blanket droopy look!

leave it, if you look close the supports fromt he front fender and back fender make perfect lines to compliment the rest of the bike.
dave

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
Still waiting for sprocket, been off the road for 15 days now.
The vender will not return my emails and will not give me a tracking number, bad customer service makes me sad.
I would have been happy with a "it will be about a month" then i would just put the old one on till then. but watch soon as i put the old one on ,the new one will come the next day. We all know how much of a pain in the butt it is to put the stock setup on.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
Who did you order your sprocket from? I just ordered a hub adapter and sprocket from Creative Engineering. They said it would take about 2 weeks. That's not bad since they probably make most to order.
Did you shorten your cable lines or do you know how to? I got a schwinn riverside and I'd love to shorten the cables on that thing. They're sooo long.
Hope you get your sprocket soon.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice looking bike. I'm curious about your front motor mount. What is the metal piece the motor and ubolt are joined to? Is that a stock hardware store item or did you have to make it? How is the vibration with that? Looks simple and solves the problem of the front tube not being quite the correct angle. Nice.
Silverbear

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
rfriesen
yeah its from them. I got them on the phone today, they say it will be a week or so.

I will be getting some 15" ape-hangers soon that will eat up all my cable slack