New to forums

GoldenMotor.com

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
DJS here, avid motorized bike rider and builder. Love to record extreme videos with my helmet cam of me riding up to the top of Angeles Crest Forest Highway in Southern California and then racing down at 50 mph while taking most, if not all of the curves and corners WOT. What's really cool is when the guys coming up from behind me on their high powered racing bikes slow down because they're not quite sure what to make of me. They wonder if I'm a guy on a really fast bike or a really slow motorcycle.. Then they cautiously go around me and continue on at 70 mph.

Have some really crazy vids that put the viewer in the drivers seat, so it's almost as cool to watch as it was to ride.

Been trying to reach this guy, Duane at thatsdax.com because I need to speak with him and the only contact he gives is his phone number and he says to CALL!!! But every time I just CALL!!! I get his voice mail and he never returns my calls.. Went on Skype and tried to contact him at his levellone profile and no luck there either.

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Glad you're here. As for your videos I hope they don't display irresponsible riding. We've got impressionable riders out there who may try to copy such behavior. There's politicians out there who want our bikes banned from the public roadways. Let's not give them ammunition to do it with. By making videos of responsible riding such as obeying all traffic laws we show we deserve to be on the public roadways as well. There's also another way to look at this, do you want law enforcement to see videos of you breaking the law? So its my hope to see great helmet cam videos from you soon.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey DJS
What kind of motorized bike are you riding on the Crest?

Would like to see your video's, are they on YouTube?

Sounds like you would have a blast at our races. The
next race is coming up fast on Saturday September 7th
at Willow Springs Raceweay.

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
Hi Jerry,

First and foremost, I never break the law or ride irresponsibly. This was why I avoided forums because of the difficulty in interpreting text messages and the presumption of guilt before speaking with someone first.

I only ride my bike on weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. This minimizes most and some days all of the other traffic on the road because most people are at work during those times. I ALWAYS wear a helmet and protective gear even if I just ride my bike to the corner market to pick up milk and eggs.

I never ride my bike in the roadway but always as far to the right as possible while staying safe. I never ride my bike on weekends when most people would expect others to be riding bikes.

The bottom line here Jerry is that I don't want to die, nor do I want to get in trouble with the law. I don't give a flip what law makers see my vids because everything I do is within the legal boundaries. If anything when a lawmaker sees my vid, it will make him want to do the same thing I'm doing. Because what I do is for fun. Not for trouble.

Thank you for your comments though. I know you didn't accuse me of anything, but your overall tone did lean more towards the presumption of guilt rather than the inquiry of it.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm really glad to hear you're a responsible rider. My concern was with your statement " I've got some really crazy videos ". So I wasn't quite sure what you ment by that. You see we've seen some sure enough crazy idiots on here before. When you make your videos be sure to walk around your bike before your ride so we can get a good look at it. Also look at your gauges if you have them so we can see your speed and tach. I hope you're able to get a second rider with you who has a helmet cam as well. Then you can edit the two angles together. A little background music and " Easy Rider " will have nothing on you.

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
Check my age Jerry. I come from a planet where the word "crazy" means "wild", "fun", "out there". There's nothing in my mind regarding the word "crazy" that implies breaking the law or doing anything in an irresponsible or self destructive fashion.

That's why I don't like text communication. It's far to easy to misinterpret. Anyway, I didn't join this forum to discuss forum etiquette. Although it's probably good to get this out of the way upfront so others will think before attempting to interpret something that they don't fully understand.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Well yes there are some of us old guys here. And yes I did inhale during the 70's through the 80's. I'm truly happy you ment crazy in a good way and not a bad one. It's all groovy man. LOL

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community, DJ.
I think you'll find a lot of like minded and 'crazy' individulas here who will enjoy your vids. The concern voiced by Jerry is valid. We've seen videos posted showing riders involved in some very unsafe and irresponsible riding. They get a lot of bad response from those of us who realize that we are under the gun as far as law makers are concerned and try to discourage that kind of behavior. It sounds to me that you have your priorities in order and understand the concerns.

Nevertheless we look forward to seeing your rides so feel free to post links to your vids.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

You're right; it's far too easy to misinterpret text 'language'. This isn't the first example. Not by a long shot.

But we really do count as a friend here anyone who has, or wants to build, a bike and loves the sport and the machine the way that we do.

You're one of us. We'll want to see them videos.

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
Motorcycle bicycle racing:

Thank you for your message. I had some of my vids on YouTube, but took them down. Decided to wait before posting anymore right now. Just a personal decision. The raceway sounds like fun. I will consider that.

My story over the past two years about what I'm riding is extensive and so I can't go into it all on this single post. I can say that I've gone from a stock motor that is sold on eBay and I found EVERY problem there is to find having to do with a motorized bike. I went to a centrifugal clutch, then got rid of it, went to a jack shaft, then to an internal hub and now I'm currently building on my GT LTS large frame a KTM 50cc motor.

I don't do all of the engine work. I'm primarily the pilot, the rider of the finished work. I make the purchases, but my good friend and mechanic Craig is the primary mechanic and he does most of the mechanical work. What I know is based on my rudimentary knowledge of auto mechanics, what I learned in auto shop back in high school before car engines had computers in them and whatever I can absorb and learn from Craig and of course, from my riding experiences.

Trust me though, being broken down at the top of Angeles Crest Highway on a 90 degree day at noon is one sure way to learn the mechanics of a motorized bike very quickly. :)

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I hope you have an album soon. I bet your ride is really witchy. We've got some really good post about roadside repairs and tools you should carry with you. The good thing about the forum here is how much and how quickly you'll learn things. I've got the only motorized bike in the world that's shifts 5 gears automatically. Many here have developed innovative things for our bikes. As far as mechanic skills go my friend stay with us and in no time at all you'll be as good as anybody there is. Now here is something really crazy we've got members who'd rather build bikes than ride them. To me that's like drinking beer without getting a buzz. But to each their own. Welcome and I'm glad you're here.

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
We have a couple of KTM 50cc bikes come to the races.

Wild Bills bike is a KTM 50 in a GT LTS frame and it is shifting
through a Sick Bike Parts kit to a derailleur.

Both of their builds are on this forum, headtrama has the other one.
This is sounding really tempting. If my KTM is broken in by then, I may see what she can do.

DJS

Aug 21, 2013
California
I hope you have an album soon. I bet your ride is really witchy. We've got some really good post about roadside repairs and tools you should carry with you. The good thing about the forum here is how much and how quickly you'll learn things. I've got the only motorized bike in the world that's shifts 5 gears automatically. Many here have developed innovative things for our bikes. As far as mechanic skills go my friend stay with us and in no time at all you'll be as good as anybody there is. Now here is something really crazy we've got members who'd rather build bikes than ride them. To me that's like drinking beer without getting a buzz. But to each their own. Welcome and I'm glad you're here.
Thanks Jerry. The thought of learning more survival tactics is VERY appealing to me. I never thought I'd become interested in a forum of any kind, but when I woke up today, this was the first place I came to. Guess I just hadn't found something that peaked my interest like this topic does.

And yes, the thought of a beer without the buzz is baffling to me too. Lol