My first build from Portland OR

GoldenMotor.com

E.O. Alouicious

Jun 8, 2013
Portland OR
I guess i have always been into bikes. When i was about 8 i got my first lesson in cycling. my sisters took me to the top of a hill close to my house, put me on an ugly green bike with a banana seat and pushed me down. Been hooked ever since.
I'm no stranger to motors, I've always been too cheap/poor to pay for service for any of the vehicles i have ever owned and did most of it myself, so it was no problem to bring this wonderful monster to life.
Here is a before and after pic of my first build. I know, i know, the white wall tires look better, but they were too big and rubbed the chain and i had these other ones lying around.
Not sure what to call her. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, the cruiser bike is a good frame for a motorized bicycle. I have two of my own and have built a few others. If you want to add a front brake use a bmx side pull style, side pull brakes are not the best but something is better than nothing, remember if the pedal side chain breaks or comes off you don't have brakes.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

Have you ever used one? I'm curious about how they handle. it seems like it would be hard to adjust it so both brakes to work correctly.

The longer pull cable goes to the front and the shorter pull to the back. You always want more front brake than back.

Good luck!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
welcome I gotta daul a brake lever on mine,I know it's not hard inside to brake lever is a little teeter totter , you know see saw , and then you just said adjust it probably. I have disc brake of front and V-brakes in the rear . it works great its just like slamming on the brakes on your car 1 foot pedal one, or brake lever. The best one out there is made by Suntour and Piratecycles sells a left or what most of us is the right lever. TOPLOWRIDER.com front forks and suspension that will fit on 1 inch or inch and an eighth . Cheap. And with the brake lever by Suntour, it really doesn't matter witch cable goes where . This is only TRUE with older or BGF ones.

Last edited:

E.O. Alouicious

Jun 8, 2013
Portland OR
That sounds like the kind of brakes i want. Thanks for all the info everyone! I wish i could buy you all a beer! Hey Huffydavidson, you've been to the St. Louis Arch right? Im planning a cross country trip, it looks awesome in pictures, I should see it right?

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
EOA, born & raised in St Louis , you just see the arch you go up in it . when I was a kid used to be free but now since the Parks Department took it over from the city they charge but I don't think it's really that high . But I will tell you this when you get up and you look down at the people on the cars they look like ants. I forgot how tall it is . That's where we hold our 4th of July its really cool. Send me a PM when you're going to be in St Louis I'll run you down.

E.O. Alouicious

Jun 8, 2013
Portland OR
It has something to do with settlers traveling west. I guess MO was considered the last stop before "the old west" but it was built in the 60's. I always considered it a symbol of American industry and progress. Sorry to get all nerdy about it. I just think its awesome.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard, Alouicious.

The dual brake handle is good, though maybe not absolutely necessary. You can always mount two brake handles for your right hand. I've done it before. You can stagger them so that they fit and your right hand can still clamp over both if you want. Two rim brakes and one coaster brake give me plenty of braking power. It's a good set-up.

You ought to be glad to see the arch when you get your chance. If you look at a photo of the St Louis skyline and ponder it for a moment, you can see that it's a pretty impressive structure. When you see it in person the effect is magnified.

I think that St Louis got the nickname 'gateway to the west' in the time leading up to the Civil War when it was the last city of any size and sophistication that you were going to see for a while. Perhaps some viewed it as the end of 'civilization'. But more optimistic types saw it as the beginning of big adventure, opportunity, freedom, etc.

And I think the arch is a modern interpretation of that whole 'gateway' idea.