Idea Dilemma

GoldenMotor.com

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
templates from cardboard?
all the time.
most of my sheet metal work is cardboard first.i have a roll of hard paper set up just for this.
on multiple curved pieces i used duct tape-tape entire area im attempting to replicate,peel tape off and cut slits to make tape lay flat.this is the pattern to cut sheet out and roll/bend to shape.
weld cutouts and basic or mirrored shape is close to original.works very well.

my power naps are sometimes my motivation when i hit the mental wall.

using wire,or wood for templates also works,depending on the need.

clear lexan/plexi for mock-ups to mark drill holes or bracket locations is very handy too.
sometimes that piece of useable scrap steel is more precious than other stuff laying around.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
That sounds like a great idea. Get it down to as little maintenance and effort to operate as possible- easy disconnects, brakes you actuate with palms instead of fingers etc... I've got it! Find a young fella and teach him to build a gas bike, that'll be fun for you both. Build your 'Trike-to-chair convertable personal transportation unit' and stock up on service parts. Then, when the arthritis acts up, there's a guy to get repair help from!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That looked crazy. Fun, too.

Back on the original thought of a tadpole based design.. If the frame hinges at the center of the Y, a cable with a pulley (run underneath) and a motor to wind it in or out would be a fairly simple way to pull the back in, raising up the center.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
clear lexan/plexi for mock-ups to mark drill holes or bracket locations is very handy too.
sometimes that piece of useable scrap steel is more precious than other stuff laying around.
That is $*&%@ brilliant TJ! Really, notes, points and thoughts written on it with a grease pencil.

Uber cool. Would give you time to stare at it and ponder too.

(I forgot to post a thing on the shop thread but gonna do it now.)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back to my original thought when I started this thread; I just went through that agonizing period where I sat and pondered the best way of accomplishing a task. In fact it has been about a three day event where I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to look but couldn't decide on the best way to achieve it. I had to select from about four different options.

The point being that when I made my decision and finally went that direction, I was so pleased with the results that I just sat and stared at the finished work, drank a cold Corona and mentally patted myself on the back. That's when I realized that the other three options would not have provided the same results.

Man, I'm glad I took the time to really analyze and finally make the right move.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Tom. Pictures and details? Optional and detailed descriptions of modes and methods considered. 27, 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles & arrows pointing out the significant parts? ( Took that from Alice's restaurant)

LOL, sorry got on a roll.

I'll be over here on the group W bench......

"They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and
they took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
one was to be used as evidence against us. Took pictures of the approach,
the getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner and that's not to
mention the aerial photography."

(Tom, kidding, kidding. I just meant to borrow a line from that song!)