Jackshaft size issue

GoldenMotor.com

Revolution87

Mar 16, 2012
Calgary
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has some experience with putting on a jackshaft. The problem is with the chain size that runs from the sprocket at the front to the rear gears. The chain that came with the kit is

1.) To large and is therefore loose on the rear gears (I doubt if it would even work, let alone be stable).

2.) It isn't long enough.

So trying to use the bike chain instead of the chain that came with the kit I run into issue # 1 reversed. That is to say, the chain fits perfectly on the rear gears but is now to small to have a proper fit on the front sprocket.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem without changing the rear gears? (I could do that but don't want to spend a lot of cash on that, since I've already maxed my budget on this project).

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
change one of the gears is needed...OR, if your handy, take out your grinder and grind down the sides on the jackshaft gear. But, only if the pitch fits the chain, if not you need a change!

Revolution87

Mar 16, 2012
Calgary
Do you think it would work to take the mid-sized sprocket that came with the bike (and fits the chain perfectly) and bolt it on to the sprocket that came with the jackshaft ? (I would probably grind off excess metal from the sprocket before bolting the one that fits onto it).

In other words, I need that special gear (I know, very technical ;) thats in the center of the kits sprocket. Basically I would cut off the teeth and as much metal as possible leaving enough room to bolt through it into the sprocket that fits.

I'm not sure if I'm going to run into an offset problem... since it wont be in the same line as the original sprocket...

This possibility seems like a bit of a gamble to me... Is it possible to get the special gear with different teeth sizes?

heres a link to a site with these parts but there isn't much info...

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=bqt9j8epntsahnga66dpdpqh94

Of course I'm not going to buy a part and wait two weeks only to find out that the same chain size is required... it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't make a proper size sprocket for my chain since it is a standard size bike chain.

Anyways... any experience with this site or other comments would be much appreciated.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Not sure exactly what you are asking.

Which Sick Bike Parts gear do you need more information? Please contact us directly with questions if you like.

Our kits are designed to work with the China bike Kit supplied 415 chain on the left side. A bike chain (410) will not fit the engine output sprocket, therefore our 17T gear is designed to fit a 415 chain.

Thanks!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has some experience with putting on a jackshaft. The problem is with the chain size that runs from the sprocket at the front to the rear gears. The chain that came with the kit is

1.) To large and is therefore loose on the rear gears (I doubt if it would even work, let alone be stable).

2.) It isn't long enough.

So trying to use the bike chain instead of the chain that came with the kit I run into issue # 1 reversed. That is to say, the chain fits perfectly on the rear gears but is now to small to have a proper fit on the front sprocket.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem without changing the rear gears? (I could do that but don't want to spend a lot of cash on that, since I've already maxed my budget on this project).
The chain that comes with the kit is not intended to be used from the front sprocket to rear gears.It is to be cut to fit from motor sprocket to 17t sprocket and 9t or 10t to your 48t sprocket.