I know! I know! Wal-mart no no!

GoldenMotor.com

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
What's up builders? My name is Thom and I am new to the forum and the MB Community in general. After a month of failures due to ignorance and poor engineering (Huffy), my Huffy-Davidson is up and running. I've been forum lurking for a weeks now and decided it was time to introduce myself. Once I figure out how to post pics I will do so.

The build started with a Huffy Nel Lusso model (hey, I wasn't doing well monetarily at the time) with a black Pirate Cycles supplied China Girl. Mismatched rims due to failed coaster hub from huffy (balls fell out of bearings and chewed through the cheap metal hub). Cosmetics are Homemade, aside from the seat (Electra Rat Fink).

Anyways, if it wasn't for this forum and all you wonderful people, I would have been lost when my clutch, carb, throttle, head, spark plug, and just about everything else broke/didn't work. So Cheers to all of you and everything you have done to make this the best MB forum, hands down!

PS, my phone won't let me resize my pics, so I'll have to wait till I get to a comp...

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Hello :) and welcome!

A lot of great information here and really helpful folks. I started about 2 months ago and because of the help here I have built three flawless bikes with no errors and all running like mad :) hmmmm off to the general maintenance threads now...

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I had problems with the bearings in my huffy rim as well. I didnt blame it on huffy. I looked at it as the drive sprocket didnt quite match the outside width of the hub. you cant blame huffy for something that goes wrong when you try to motorize; huffy didnt design any of their bikes to be motorized. No shame in motorizing a walmart bike though, plenty of us have done it. walmart bikes are the hondas of the mb world: fun to drive till your friends catch you doing it, lol. all jokes aside though, plenty of walmart bikes out there with motors, some even have badass powerplants like the predator. I myself am driving a huffy cranbrook that is soon to receive a predator transplant. so dont defend yourself for driving a honda ;)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the nel lusso sure is a pretty bicycle!

It's as good a start for a project as many others.

there's always something to overcome, like bearings dropping out and such! lol

It's fun sorting though everything.

Good luck
rc

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
What is a predator, and where can I buy one? As for.the malfunctioning, it was before I even knew about MB's
I dont know your level of riding experience, but if this is your first time riding any sort of motorbike, I wouldnt recommend jumping straight from a 2 stroke to a predator. gain some more riding experience with your current bike first. I would say at least get your money's worth out of the engine you have. I have been riding bicycles with the 2 stroke engines for almost 3 years, and just now feeling comfortable with installing a more powerful engine. Installing a predator is also much more expensive than a kit build. just for the engine, transmission, and a larger rear sprocket to get the gear ratio I want, is going to cost me almost $400. Worth it for the performance and reliability I will get, but if I had just built this bike, I would consider it a waste of money. However, my current engine is a year old, and I wont need any kit parts except for the larger sprocket for my rear wheel.

stevenflintrichards

Apr 28, 2012
flint michigan
my wally world bike if i could get pictures to upload , looks and drives nice and with removal of rear fender mostly only vibrates the pedals at wot but i think if i pack them full of thick grease this may go away

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
my second build was walmart huffy cranbrook,nothing wrong building a cheap bike.my first was also a huffy, comfort cruiser, garage sale bike,been my favorite even with the rag joint sprocket.though i prefer the sprocket adapter.third craigs list occ,with starfire GT 2 HO motor.on to the next a schwinn drifter just bought pk 80 motor and sprocket adapter from pirate cycles.

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
I dont know your level of riding experience, but if this is your first time riding any sort of motorbike, I wouldnt recommend jumping straight from a 2 stroke to a predator. gain some more riding experience with your current bike first. I would say at least get your money's worth out of the engine you have. I have been riding bicycles with the 2 stroke engines for almost 3 years, and just now feeling comfortable with installing a more powerful engine.
I ride an '05 custom RoadKing. Thanks for looking out, though.brnot

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
Alright, so after port matching the intake and exhaust, trimming both ends of the stock plug wire, moving my E-clip, and removing excess plastic from air cleaner, I got my Huffy-Davidson to top out at 35mph. Very little vibration, but after about 8 miles I seemed to lose some clutch power.

I removed the cover, pulled all the clutch disks, cleaned the whole assembly with B12, adjusted the flower nut, and reassembled. Got some clutch back, but still think I might have burned the rubber disks too much. Anyone know where I can get material to make new ones? I found them premade but can't make myself pay $15+ for something I'm sure I can make...