how do i start

GoldenMotor.com

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My cruiser is powered by a 49cc that holds 20-25 mph, maxing 25-30 mph. twentys is plenty fast to commute to work, etc. 49cc is also legal in my area. V style front brake and rear coaster are the team that I use to slow and stop.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hello and welcome to our forum. I highly recomend THATSDAX for your kit. A much better kit than you may find anywhere else, And Duane is a stand up guy :) eBay may be cheaper but if something goes wrong DAX will handle it. (c)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Amealnet, welcome. First build is more time consuming then difficult although frustrating,. Takes me a good 6 or 8 hours as I really take my time and get every thing right and tight. Half the fun of these things is the installation. Take the time to really enjoy it, would be my advice. (that and double all nuts. I have never tried lock-tight, but others swear by it) Disclaimer; building bicycles with motor assistance is highly addictive and will cause lack of sleep due to dreaming of next build. The inability to turn in to one's own driveway as the "one more time around the block.." syndrome takes effect. the need to speak to neighbors, complete strangers and getting flagged down and asked questions is triplied at least.

Oh, the rear sprocket has (on a happy time/chinagirl motor) 2 rubber mats that are inside and out of the spokes and the sprocket is threw bolted. Very low tech but works great. I use a small piece of wood to measure it's even spacing to the spoke and align it st8. Very important to have it close to perfect and the most time consuming part of installation. I normally do it in my living room wile watching tv.

Good luck with your build and I look forward to your pics!

Last edited:

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yep, I ordered my engine kit from DAX last week, and I ordered my bike from XYZ yesterday. My stuff won't be here for about another week or so, but I'm already planning the next build!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yep, I ordered my engine kit from DAX last week, and I ordered my bike from XYZ yesterday. My stuff won't be here for about another week or so, but I'm already planning the next build!
LOL, waiting is not fun,eh? welcome to the addiction, as some one here so aptly puts it. Build some thing cool then expand!
:ride2:

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
LOL, waiting is not fun,eh? welcome to the addiction, as some one here so aptly puts it. Build some thing cool then expand!
:ride2:
Yes, that's exactly how it's been ever since I fixed that old bike in my garage and wondered if there's an engine that I could put on it. Waiting sucks, but that which doesn't kill me...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Up-side is it gives you time to do research and thunk things out. Trying to be supportive but know the kid at Christmas feeling all to well.

What kind of bike? Old bikes are great platforms!

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
XYZ Easyrider Cruiser, black with whitewalls. I'm going classic.

I'm really anxious: I won a 36T sprocket from Dax on ebay, and I sent him payment with the extra $209 +$29 that he asks for an engine on his site. I left him a message via phone and email. This was about a week ago (12th).

I know it takes him ten business days to ship, it's just that I haven't gotten any confirmation of payment received. He's probably real busy with the Titans coming in and all.

Christmas is nothing compared to this!

oreilly907

Sep 16, 2008
I bought my kit from Dax last Saturday, I called them with a question and got voicemail. I thought "Great, I'll never hear from them". 30 minutes later Duane called me back, answered my question, then talked for another 10 minutes. What great service. Anyway, my kit came yesterday. I'm just taking a break, should be rolling in about an hour. Be patient, it's gonna be worth it. Good luck.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Great! That makes me feel a lot better. I ordered his engine because of the feedback here, and because I really don't want to spring for a Chris Hill at this time. I just happened to be browsing ebay when the sprocket from Dax came up; I thought it was a good time to pull the trigger.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Smoothe, that is a sweet lookn' bike! xyz link. I am going to order cup holder Would you let me know about your bike's quality? Read a lil of their blog, seem like good folks.

There is no need to worrie about dax. He is very enthusiastic about customer relations and a good guy. He will take care of you.

Attachments

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
There is no need to worrie about dax. He is very enthusiastic about customer relations and a good guy. He will take care of you.
I'm not worried about getting ripped off Dan, I trust the forums' advice and that's why I bought from him. I'm just a hyper weirdo.

XYZ is a company out of California, my home state and right next door to me now. I looked around for a bike for a long time in order to avoid the trip to walmart (from ****).

Eventually. I'd like to get a Nirve Nightowl or an Electra hellBilly. Anybody know where to get a smokin deal on one of those?

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
Smoothe,

You can get an Electra Hellbilly from REI.com for about $600 bucks. Thats the last price I saw on them there.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, I'll probably support my LBS on the Electra. I just got word that my engine kit and my new bike will be here tomorrow!