$1,000 motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I had a friend asking me what I could build him for $1,000 and I came up with the idea for a thread. I'm proposing a thread where someone could post their complete sourced $1,000 kits. All someone else would have to do is order the parts from the supplied links and assemble it. Let's see what you come up with. Here is what I came up with for my buddy.

Worksmen newsboy model INB $339 Industrial Bicycles from Worksman Cycles
options front drum brake $70, 3 speed hub $90.

Silver Slant 66cc $134 Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

SBP shift kit $199 Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle
SBP throttle $21.95
SBP kill switch $3.79
SBP expansion chamber $67.95
SBP fuel filter $4.95
SBP plug wire $6.49
SBP spark plug $6.99
SBP bottom bracket adapter $13.95
Bottom Bracket Cartridge $16.95

pirate cycles lay back seat $25 Improved Lay Back Seat Post

total: 1003.02 (almost $1000)

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
For a grand, I would go with either great bike and so-so gas motor or vice-versa.
Electra Ratfink with a two stroke in the frame and drum brakes would work.
Conversely, I could use a Sun beach cruiser with a Honda thumper in the frame and shift kit. If I settle for a chinese thumper, I might be able to swing the drum brakes.
Hmmm.
I don't think I could do a very fun ebike for a grand. Lithium batteries quickly devour the budget.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
My bike costs me about 1000 bucks all in......

My Bike | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The bike was 400 bucks

-new double wall rear wheel-50

-staton rear friction drive kit and motor-500

-new handlebars-30

-new seat 60

-new teflon coated brake and derailleur cables-60

-New tires and thorn proof tubes-80

-Planetbike headlight and rear blinkie-60

-rear rack bag-75

-gas tank 30

-center mount kickstand 40

-Planetbike fenders 60

-trip computer 50

-GPS unit 140

-new suspension seatpost 55

-large canister of bear mace 45

oops....looks like I am around 1500 bucks.

It's still a cheap hobby as far I am concerned :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
My current build-$299 DB mountainbike, 400$ r/s staton kit, 25$ bigger gas tank, mirror 15$, bell 10$, tire liners and thick tubes 25$, $15 handlebar bag, $20 rear kick stand, $25 avinir comfort seat, well thats about it for now. This was supposed to be a cheap build too. But its the best MAB so far and I wouldnt change a thing.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
In my State, you'd have to reduce the $1000 'cause the State wants their 9%. Bastiches!
Shipping and handling if you buy from an out of state vendor. Soon to come to a State near you; Interestate Transaction fees.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'll have about a grand in my Mango / Staton when done.

Mango Toucan 3 $400
Staton rear friction drive $400
Origin 8 cargo unit $ 70
Gas Tank $ 30
Kick Stand $ 30
Lock $ 15
Paint & Hardware $ 30

That's about twice what the OP Roller and the happy time combo cost. But a lot less work and a lot less frustration.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had a friend asking me what I could build him for $1,000 and I came up with the idea for a thread. I'm proposing a thread where someone could post their complete sourced $1,000 kits. All someone else would have to do is order the parts from the supplied links and assemble it. Let's see what you come up with. Here is what I came up with for my buddy.

Worksmen newsboy model INB $339 Industrial Bicycles from Worksman Cycles
options front drum brake $70, 3 speed hub $90.

Silver Slant 66cc $134 Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

SBP shift kit $199 Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle
SBP throttle $21.95
SBP kill switch $3.79
SBP expansion chamber $67.95
SBP fuel filter $4.95
SBP plug wire $6.49
SBP spark plug $6.99
SBP bottom bracket adapter $13.95
Bottom Bracket Cartridge $16.95

pirate cycles lay back seat $25 Improved Lay Back Seat Post

total: 1003.02 (almost $1000)
I don't think this is realistic because you have to consider the labor. Plus most people mark up the parts too. This bike should be closer to 2 grand

A basic beach cruiser like a OP Roller would be about $1000 maybe with a few extras unless you're also working for Chinese wages.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Cool thread!

Max, so no labor factored into this at all then?

I'll see what I can come up with, (no labor?).

:)

PS: I think max was asking us to also post the source links.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
This build was for my buddy and labor paid with beer. My estimate also didn't include shipping or tax. I figure those are unavoidable cost and I was trying to keep it simple. Any way your kit totals $1,000 is fine with me.

BTW It would be helpful to people that actually want to build your kit if links were provided.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I just came up with another build.

Worksman bicycle, options; puncture resistant tubes, front drum brake, long seat worksmancycles.com
$470

Harbor fright predator 99cc harborfreight.com
$109

Affordable go karts: motor mount, header flange, header tube, jackshaft, clutch, chain affordablegokarts.com
$236

Manic mechanic sprocket adapter, pistonbikes.com
$60

3 piece wide crank, bicycle-engines.com
$30

Sick Bike Parts, bottom bracket adapter, fuel filter, kill switch, HD throttle, sickbikeparts.com
$46

Fuel line, local hardware store
$9

This leaves $40 to fabricate two engine mount arms (AGK mount does not come with arms), welding the custom exhaust from AGK, and hardware for mounting the stock fuel tank to the rear rack.

BTW, I'd have to cut the worksman lower frame support to make room for the HF engine.

Last edited:

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so why just wondering. why are u gonna waste half ur budget on just the bike? go to walmart and u'll find a perfect bike that will suit u. i have the 29 astra and its great

here my ideal build for 1000:
29 genesis mountain bike
grubee skyhawk 66cc with cns v3
sbp expansion chamber
shift kit
upgraded derailuer
better cdi and spark plug.
40 tooth sprocket.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
so, you're saying an american made worksman is basically the same as a chinese made Kent bike.

while they're two completely different styles of bikes (one being a heavy duty cruiser, and the other a psuedo-mountain bike) the quality of the worksman bike eclipses anything that comes out of china.

on the worksman, you're getting 11g spokes and drum brakes made in france, and a rim that is second to none when it comes to strength. it's basically a small motorcycle wheel. it's actually stronger than a lot of older moped wheels and lightweight motorcycle spoked wheels.

on the genesis, you're getting a lightweight, cheaply made rim with 15g spokes (at least they're stainless) and a low end hub.

a lightweight "handcrafted" aluminum frame? who's handcrafting them? i know frame builders that charge a coupla grand and up for a real "handcrafted" frame. i guess pushing the "on" button on the robotic frame-building machine in china means "handcrafted."

low end shimano parts, steel 3 piece cranks with a non-sealed bearing bottom bracket, and no-name accessories round out your choice.

not a bad bike from walmart, but i guarantee you it'll be collecting dust in thrift stores or melted down at scrap yards long before the worksman's chrome even get's tarnished...