lightweight build

GoldenMotor.com

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
Hello all,

i have built 3-4 bike now all custom over the last 6-7 years.

so now im intrested in building something as lightweight as feasiblle/safe i think this is around 15kg or 33 lbs her is my latest build is 50lbs or 23kg. im intrested in people who have built or are building a lightweight mb.

here is mine
(i did originally write more but the page imeout and i lost the message so now im keeping it short and sweet)

look foward to hearing from you.

Attachments

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Take care on that.. Iv heard aluminum frames don't last very long with motors, because as you stress (Due to vibration/shock) aluminum it weakens, Steel does not weaken when not stressed past a certian limit.. (I think aluminum has a similar limit but its WAYYY lower)

So while it may be initialy strong enough, several thousand bumps and vibration from a few million revolutions on the motor may take its toll.

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
blackmoon, thanks for the concern but dont worry the frame is cro mo, apart from knowing by research the and stickers, you can tell steel frames becuase they tend to hAve narrower tubes. and "generally speeaking" steel to alumnium is 50% less ductile, search for modulus of elasticity (i dont think i speel correctly) if your intrested.

matthurd i would suspect thelightest building to be friction drive road bike as even tho bmx's are small they tend to be engineered for much higher loads. but i could be wrong. anyone have bmx build weight?

by the way why feel free to post if think you have the lightest build

and if you intersted the motor adds about 3500 grams (the gb the mount and chain etc)plus 3500 for the motor. the frame is a rudge biframe 1980's cro-mo :)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
my bmx bike can be lifted with my pinky no problem, throw a friction drive on it and i think it would easily be one of the lightest mbs built.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

i have built 3-4 bike now all custom over the last 6-7 years.

so now im intrested in building something as lightweight as feasiblle/safe i think this is around 15kg or 33 lbs her is my latest build is 50lbs or 23kg. im intrested in people who have built or are building a lightweight mb.

here is mine
(i did originally write more but the page imeout and i lost the message so now im keeping it short and sweet)

look foward to hearing from you.
I love your design, do you have a pic of the other side?
thanks
There is a guy in Portland? that was making a similar design