Hello from Arizona

GoldenMotor.com

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
Greetings everyone. I am brand new to this hobby. I just finished installing my Grubee GT2A 48cc on my Raleigh Route 4.0 after a whole weekend of struggling. I just took it for it's maiden voyage today and found the choke to be a little finnicky. It's one of those handlebar mounted cable-operated chokes and I have to physically hold it in the open position as it won't stay put. I'm more used to working on computers and cars than on small engines, so this was a great learning opportunity for me.

One big question I have though, when I have the clutch disengaged, should the rear wheel still have a lot of resistance when moving? I was under the impression that the wheel should be able to move freely, but there's still a lot of drag.

zpt

Here is a before picture:

Here is the after picture: I actually ended up removing the chain tensioner because it was causing too much friction between the chain and the pulley. I almost ended up popping the chain off the sprocket because the tensioner was pulling the chain out of alignment. Good thing I hadn't started the motor yet, just trying to make sure the chain flows smoothly before I ran it.

Attachments

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
Thanks! Is there anybody on the forum who lives in Sierra Vista and has a lot of experience with MBs? I could definitely use some pointers.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Welcome to the forum. Don't know of anyone from Sierra Vista but there are a lot of us from Tucson. Wouldn't be much of a problem to meet you halfway.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Thanks! Is there anybody on the forum who lives in Sierra Vista and has a lot of experience with MBs? I could definitely use some pointers.
Hey Crono Blades, I live in sierra vista :). I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got. Shoot me an PM. A buddy and I going to the death race in Tucson on 4/16 http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743.html and you could car pool with us if you want too. Also, Take a look at the member map http://motorbicycling.com/f21/motorbicycling-com-member-map-22627.html

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
1. I just took it for it's maiden voyage today and found the choke to be a little finnicky. It's one of those handlebar mounted cable-operated chokes and I have to physically hold it in the open position as it won't stay put.

2. One big question I have though, when I have the clutch disengaged, should the rear wheel still have a lot of resistance when moving?

3. I almost ended up popping the chain off the sprocket because the tensioner was pulling the chain out of alignment.
1. I think your problem is that the black screw on the top of the thumb shifter is not tight enough. When the screw is tight, it will hold the position of the shifter.

2. On new engines the clutch pads will sometimes stick. I've had luck in just truing the wheel over with the chain attached (possibility of braking something) or You might try taking the clutch cover off and try turning it by hand. the clutch cover is tear drop in shape and located on the right side of the engine.

3. The chain tensioner needs to be bent so it matches the chain line. It doesn't need a lot of twist and you should have about a 1/2" of slack on the chain. If the sprocket wasn't mounted true then the chain may pop off like your describing. Also, keep a close eye on it because it might slip into your spokes if not tighten properly. I know from experience :).

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
Hey man, thanks for the offer to take a look at my setup. I'll take a look at the areas you've mentioned and go to the bike shop to get the wheel trued. I noticed after I installed the sprocket that the wheel has a little bit of a wobble, not enough to be worried about, but it's not a perfect spin like it was when I bought it.

Additionally I noticed on the Grubee website that they said if you're not getting much engine power, you may have to adjust the "pac man" clip on the carburetor needle downward. This is needed if you're at a higher elevation (and I'm at about 5000 ft) I have no idea what they're talking about with regards to the "pac man" clip. I'd assume that I need to adjust one of the two screws on the right-hand side of the carb, but I don't know which one makes the fuel-air mix richer.

Here is the photo of the carb from Grubeeinc.com

[/QUOTE]

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
The bike shops in sierra vista (M&M and sun n' spokes) are not all that motor bicycle friendly (I know) and will turn you down if you bring your whole bike. Be sure to bring in just the wheel. Also have them true the wheel with the drive sprocket on. It will distort your otherwise true wheel. I have a spoke tool you could use if you want to try it yourself and a couple of old rims that you could have if your rim is bent too much. I never can get a wheel true like the bicycle shop guys can do. expect to pay the bike shop $10.

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
Thanks for the advice. I actually got my bike from M&M and they will do trueing for free since I have their service contract. One of the technicians there actually is a big fan of MBs and owned one. The guy who sold me the bike also said that motorizing it would not void their repair contract. They just can't work on my kit (no brainer there).

Before I went to M&M though, I took a look at sun 'n spokes and the sales associate there pretty much treated me like I was a moron for wanting to motorize a bike. I realize that bicycles aren't "supposed" to be motorized, but how do you think that stopped the French when they built the first motorized bicycle in 1868? It's like some people think that motorizing bicycles is an abomination, but they don't stop to think that the only reason we have motorcycles today is because somebody had the genius idea of adding a motor to a bicycle almost 150 years ago.

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
Not sure exactly who he was, I think he had lighter hair. Didn't sound Scottish. He was leaving the shop as I was purchasing the bike and when I brought the engine in to see if it would fit on the frame he started talking about how he had an MB.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Hey Crono, I'm going for a ride with my buddy tomorrow around SV. You're welcome to come along. We could take a look at your bike if you want too.

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
No, I'm just going to get/make a new one. I personally don't trust the cheap Chinese one that came with the kit (I've read too many horror stories about them ripping out spokes). Like I was saying on Sunday, I'm probably going to shoot for a spring loaded tensioner.