Attn: guys that run 100 to 1

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Been using the opti oil for 8 months with no apparent problems what so ever. The usual bragging by the others on this site got to me, I was really sold on it when Retmachinist pm me that it was the real thing. All you guys that are skeptical, I say whatever, the only catch is that it's not compatible with ethanol gas. That's not a suggestion it's a fact.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Been using the opti oil for 8 months with no apparent problems what so ever. The usual bragging by the others on this site got to me, I was really sold on it when Retmachinist pm me that it was the real thing. All you guys that are skeptical, I say whatever, the only catch is that it's not compatible with ethanol gas. That's not a suggestion it's a fact.
Sorry Glen I have to disagree with you on the ethanol issue. Colorado has had 10% ethanol for years and that's all you can get here. All my engines, bikes, cars, lawnmowers and trimmers are run with the ethanol based fuel. My bikes thrive on Opti-2 and Ethanol. Not just my opinion, it's a fact, sir.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
in the link that "momentummotorgroup" posted, the last line stands out "...The harder the engine is run, the more effective the lubricant becomes..."

i totally believe in that statement. like i've been saying, i run it 100:1 from day one at full throttle for extended periods of time, and it just works. my first motor was broken in the conventional way, 24, then 32:1 valvoline from autozone, and it took a month of hard riding before it finally broke in, and that motor was never as strong as my others.

besides the ride around the block, i rode my latest motor 35 miles at WOT with almost no stops, not even for lights (Newport Beach to Signal Hill on PCH, miles between lights,) then hung out all day, then rode back. temps were 85 degrees, and the return trip was against the wind the whole way.

the motor loved it, i loved it, the environment loved it.

bottom line is, you'll never know it works until you try it, and if you don't try it, then you have no room to debate it. how can you pass judgement without making an actual comparison yourself?

the real bottom line is, if Opti2 was beer, i'd drink it.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Sorry Glen I have to disagree with you on the ethanol issue. Colorado has had 10% ethanol for years and that's all you can get here. All my engines, bikes, cars, lawnmowers and trimmers are run with the ethanol based fuel. My bikes thrive on Opti-2 and Ethanol. Not just my opinion, it's a fact, sir.
Tom
I think he may mean E-85 because almost all gas sold nowadays has at least 10% ethanol.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
The opti2 oil that was shipped to me came with the warning about E-85 (thanks Kevlarr your right). I can remember you posting how your engine bogged down with no power,Tom, so something must of happened since. You even told me about it on a telephone conversation a while back. Maybe it was the Chris Hill engine I can't remember but you said it caused the engine to barely run it was running slower than ever. You have either a short memory or you used a richer mix than the 100 to 1. Correct me if I'm wrong but I clearly remember having that phone conversation, you said you barely made it home with your bike.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Pretty sure that was an odd case of a well-used engine that was swapped over to Opti after a lot of usage with regular oil & mix ratios... and it was a bit of a fluke that no one could quite explain (dislodged carbon buildup reducing worn ring compression mebbe)? You'll ofc hafta talk to Tom about it as I don't really remember either *shrug* but as I recall it was also the only mention of any problems experienced, he's got more than one engine heh

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The opti2 oil that was shipped to me came with the warning about E-85 (thanks Kevlarr your right). I can remember you posting how your engine bogged down with no power,Tom, so something must of happened since. You even told me about it on a telephone conversation a while back. Maybe it was the Chris Hill engine I can't remember but you said it caused the engine to barely run it was running slower than ever. You have either a short memory or you used a richer mix than the 100 to 1. Correct me if I'm wrong but I clearly remember having that phone conversation, you said you barely made it home with your bike.
Glen I believe you missed the point; that being that I have 4 other 2 stroke engines that all perform perfectly on Opti-2 mixed with 10% ethanol. Yes, you are correct about the Chris Hill engine. It did poorly and to date we can only guess as to why. The best opinion I've seen has to do with the high milage engine initially being run on standard 2 stroke oil and the difference in the way the rings seated (if they ever did correctly). My opinion still stands, that when used as directed by the manufacturer from break in, Opti-2 is a superior lubricant to standard 2 stroke oil mixed to 32:1, more or less.
I'm not up on what ethanol % is available, or mandated in other parts of the country and there is a possibility that Opti might not do as well with a higher alcohol content. I'm not aware of any reports of this and can only tell you what experience I've had with the Colorado blend.
As for short term memory loss; at my age...that's not unusual.
Tom

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
For any folks that switched post break in to opti 2, did you have to make any carb adjustments? I'm on a 66 skyhawk with the speed carb, third gallon of gas and just switched to 24:1 after 20:1 using the maxima oil. Thinkin about going to opti 2 after the maxima is gone.

alphaBETAdog

Jul 2, 2010
Arid-Zona
I'm new here, still learning about these MBs and haven't bought a kit yet, certainly don't know much about them, but I thought I would chime in with my $0.02

I flew 2-stroke ultralight aircraft for years. 500cc Rotax twin cylinder 50 HP at about 6000-6500 rpm. I and many others used Amsoil mixed at 100:1 The engines ran cleaner, better, and I knew on none that seized. Rings wouldn't stick like with regular mix ratios. Gas is also a better coolant than oil. Much more critical when your as_ is on a sling a thousand or more feet in the air! I know there is probably a world of difference in these 2-stroke engines, but the finer ratios had a lot of advantages.

Another biggy was to use the premix right away - not let it sit around for more than a week or so. I poured a lot of 100:1 premix into my truck that got a little "old", never had a problem there either.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Alpha Beta,
You will find several ultralight flyers here that share your opinions. Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the ride, (flight) :)
Tom

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
thanks guys i will call them tomorrow

i am new to motor bicycling and have just put together a 40cc china on a smaller norco frame.. it barely fits in the V, but I believe having smaller wheels would make the bike go faster? if i am wrong please correct me

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
mathematically, a smaller wheel will accelerate faster, but will be slower than a larger wheel at max rpms.

like, a 24" will beat a 26" off the line, but the 26'er will catch up and pass you.

like i said, though, "mathematically."

i've got a 24" that hasn't been beat yet.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
thanks for the info, i am finding this site to be VERY useful

i am wondering though, i think I am getting less fuel mileage than I should be.. I am going to buy a bike computer tomorrow though, so I will be able to track my mileage.

any recommendations on bike computers? in the 20 - 30 dollar range

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to forum. I had good luck with the cheap bells at walmart. They have a Schwinn there as well thats prolly better.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
I just purchased synthetic from Wally World, made by poulan. 40 to 1 mix cost $6 for a small jug. It is a full synthetic oil, I did notice they had a synthetic blend oil for about $3 a jug. They had it over in the garden center near all the chainsaws and gas tools, No synthetic was in the auto dept just your cheap 2 stroke oils. They did have a gallon jug of full synthetic in auto parts for $26 but it was for outboards. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the advice.. right now I am running motomaster formula premium 2 stroke motorcycle oil. I have noticed a lot of black crud being spat out all over the bottom of the bike, occasionally spitting onto my legs as well.. is this normal, or can I find a way to prevent this? I don't mind it much right now because it is summer, but when it gets cooler I do not want to have this all over my pants and shoes when going to school..