how to make a cheap layback seatpost.

GoldenMotor.com

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
I was actually sitting here reading this entire thread (yeah I gotta cple laughs too) thinkin about the seatpost I saw at a bike shop the other day, as I too would like a laid back post for my Stingray, n no I'm not 10' tall, but this post I saw absolutley floored me. It was all carbon fiber, the size I need for the Stingray but it only had a layback totalling 35 mm, could'ja guess how much that thing cost? I was like eieieieieieieieieieei EXCUSE ME? Did you say 175 bux, for a freakin seatpost? They had some pretty cool bikes in there too, but cmon?

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I know this reply is a little overdue... but I just came across it. At 6'2" a layback post is a must for me, and at 135lbs I don't think I'll be bending any type of steel anytime soon. I know... freakishly skinny for my height, but thats where the "bones" in jbones comes from. (A nickname that I have always hated, but have grown to accept)! P.s. - my favorite one-sitting meals... A whole frozen pizza... or ten crunchy tacos from the bell... or two whoppers with cheese and large fries. What can I say? It goes right to... (oops... I mean right past)... my thighs...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I know this reply is a little overdue... but I just came across it. At 6'2" a layback post is a must for me, and at 135lbs I don't think I'll be bending any type of steel anytime soon. I know... freakishly skinny for my height, but thats where the "bones" in jbones comes from. (A nickname that I have always hated, but have grown to accept)! P.s. - my favorite one-sitting meals... A whole frozen pizza... or ten crunchy tacos from the bell... or two whoppers with cheese and large fries. What can I say? It goes right to... (oops... I mean right past)... my thighs...
Hmmm... sounds like you're revin' high. Carb is definitely lean in spite of a rich mix of fuel. I have the opposite problem. Seems like I bog down some even with a leaner mix. Go figure.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
JB, if you were sane you would not be amongst us folks with out restraints.

*I, by the powers vested in me by the voices in my head do declare jbones9869 sain and in good mental health.*

(so you can cite this in court. trust me. Comes in handy)

Last edited:

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Why not plug the ends and pour some melted aluminum in it. You would not need more than about a pint or less. I use a homemade furnace and charcoal as the fuel. Probably would take less than an hour from scratch to get up to temp an do the pour. Let it cool slowly, to get a good hardness and not too brittle. If anyone wants plans on the furnace, I can send you something.
Jim

2 Funny Baird.

I am defiantly gonna try this. After ridding one time with a bent seat post, I just don't enjoy motorized bicycle riding with out them. (thanks again Tom!) They make a world of difference.

Just think of the rider who is 5 foot 13" tall and depending on their MB as thier only wheels and making minimum wage. Bet they are loving this idea. I wonder if simply filling it with sand would shore it up for plus sized riders.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Why not plug the ends and pour some melted aluminum in it. You would not need more than about a pint or less. I use a homemade furnace and charcoal as the fuel. Probably would take less than an hour from scratch to get up to temp an do the pour. Let it cool slowly, to get a good hardness and not too brittle. If anyone wants plans on the furnace, I can send you something.
Jim
That sounds awesome Jim! Please do post. Love this about this crazy. Always some thing to learn an' some one sharing "How to"

.flg.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
youse guys are taking this way too far. IKEA computer desk? i wouldn't trust that to hold up my computer, much less hittin' a manhole cover at 35mph.

and melting aluminum? if i was a blacksmith, i'd just make a whole bike with a hammer and an anvil.

seriously, it's just a handlebar seatpost. no need to go so extreme about it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In Asian accent; "Wy U soo cranky Baird, you cranky. Wy you so cranky?" LOL, snork. laff

Put the wrench down! kidding, kidding!

oowwwwwww.....

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Just a note,
If you want to buy one Ghent Cruisers sells them and, I have a brother who used to own The Masonville Garage (Model A Parts) (now non existent) whom some of you may have done business with back in the 70's & 80's, who built mine for me. It depends on what you want but he built mine of solid steel. I think I could persuade him to do a little manufacturing if you want me to look into it. I had a little altering done on mine because I had an idea in mind of what I was going to do with it. no funny ideas now, that thing would hurt!
Norm

Attachments