Attempt at a solid build... first timer n00b!

GoldenMotor.com

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.
Hey guys!

I am looking to build a solid build, a tank, for use in the field and daily commute. I work in the great outdoors so a versatile bike/motorized bicycle is what I aim towards.

I have been considering specifically the Staton with NuVinci hub, likely the Subaru 33 or Mitsubishi 43. Leaning towards the Subaru, but could be convinced otherwise. One member's suggestion was to go with a 49cc 4 stroke. 4 strokes are very appealing for me, what with no mixing :D

In general, if there is a better kit for my needs, I want to know about it!

I have a long-ish hilly commute on paved roads, and otherwise I work largely in the outdoors... so what to do! I need something dependable and versatile - as a get around in the field (i.e. the great outdoors), and also just to get "to the office" on-time!

Essentially my home is in the flats, but my work is waaaay up a mountain road. I stay up there several days a week, so I commute only 3 or max 4 times a week. While up there I want good transportaion I can rely on, too.. to go between mountain towns and out into the field where people rely on my support services. Otherwise I would just buy a dirt bike or moped, honestly.

Anyway, to get up the mountain, it's about 35 miles and much of it is paved mostly un-used switchbacks that must be driven fairly conservatively when in my Volvo. I.e. not toooo fast. The question for my build: How will this bike perform, if loaded with some touring bags etc? I like to tour and pedal as well, so I hope to do that, but foremost I am looking for a bike that can also take the sting out of the commute costs, and have fun while doing it, and still bring my needed gear for the given expedition etc. And dare I ask about a trailer? Trailers would be purely optional, not a must-have, but fun.

One other question is regarding frames: I will build heavy tires, 4x brakes (especially for going down: for coming home!), etc, but would the Montague MX "folder" frame work? I have seen a 'hummer' that apparently still folded... I love this bike and it would be my first choice for convenience. I also like how many kits come a bit further forward on the back wheels, when installed on this style of frame. I'm thinking of the weight distribution. Otherwise it would be a full suspension for me, if I chose not to use the Montague.

I'm really hoping to confirm my hopes that this will be a good system, as I hope to just build a great bike, not do a half job of it at first. I have a few weeks to buy parts and make choices Without a community like this, I would likely not be successfull! Thanks in advance for any beta you can provide!
dance1 xct2 .trk dnut

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.
Thanks for the attention, DonnnN, I do appreciate it, now anyone with some actual experience with the NuVinci that can chime in?

How's Singapore? I do love that place, but they allow these motor-creatures?

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Thanks for the attention, DonnnN, I do appreciate it, now anyone with some actual experience with the NuVinci that can chime in?

How's Singapore? I do love that place, but they allow these motor-creatures?
Nope..They Banned It Back In 2004.. And I Gotta Be On The Lookout For The Cops.. Bike Shops Or Anyone Who Fits Motors To Bike Will Be Fined $2000.. They Banned It But I Managed To Get A Kit Haha!

Basically The Reason The Gave For The Ban Was 'Too Fast For Pavements And Too Slow For Roads"

Lol.

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.
Nope..They Banned It Back In 2004.. And I Gotta Be On The Lookout For The Cops.. Bike Shops Or Anyone Who Fits Motors To Bike Will Be Fined $2000.. They Banned It But I Managed To Get A Kit Haha!

Basically The Reason The Gave For The Ban Was 'Too Fast For Pavements And Too Slow For Roads"

Lol.
I thought maybe if you kept your hair short they wouldn't mind ;)
But seriously in what other country do you really want to visit the airport... like with a date (and not just to leave...)
.bf.