Dual Suspension 'Roo'

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Nice! I should like to have the time and place to one day build like this!

I have front shocks but no rear with swing arm on my current build.

I found a bike that I thought I would use that has both shocks, but the frame is too small in the triangle area where I'd put the engine. It is strange the fork in front and the rear swing arm and drop outs in back are steel, but in the center it is non-magnetic material an alloy.

I know my MIG welder might do aluminum alloy, and better with a nozzle spooler, but I never did much on that kind of stuff.

Anyway good going and already you have paint going on!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Thank's Hen, Glad you like it.
My old 'war wounds' have been giving me trouble again, so I've been limiting the time I spend working for others and trying to keep my self busy at home on 'light duties'.
So having a few projects like this helps to keep me sane, and broke!
I've really tried to keep my spending to a minimum on this bike, recycling what I could.
So there are a few bits that I'd like to upgrade at some point, but I'm close to hit the 1 G mark and other than a better tyre for the front I'm refraining from spending anymore on her for now.
The original donar bike 'The Phantom' was $100. Still got a few good bits left over from it.
The GT was also $100, however after swapping a few bits around and giving it a polish I still had a nice bike, which was gifted to a mates kid for his birthday.
The 130mm forks were $80 and really help to make the bike.
The 24" rims were an absolute bargin at $40 and add a touch of 'class'.
RSE Reed and barrel carb another $100.
The KTM pipe $80, In my opinion if you have the ability to make it fit 'the best bang for your buck'.
And of course the 'Screaming Roo' which was a little under $400( I had a good week at work!), which although twice the price of an E bay kit, Really is so much better than any of the E bay kits I ever got.
New piston and barrel >$50.
Workshop consumables( quite a few welding rods, paint, ect),$50?
Tyres $100.
Which I believe comes to $1100!, including 'leftovers'.
Time to stop.
But I see myself getting a lot of fun from this bike, and it's almost finished!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Thank's Guy's,
I'm trying to be patient with her at the moment, She got a fairly heavy coat of Enamel and is taking a while to harden up, hence I'm taking my time to do the final fit to the exhaust which hugs the frame to less than 1/2 an inch. But I'm ready to pad the frame and get it done.
Also Been reconfiguring the 'Goat' motor as my 'Stocker' trying to get as much Torque from her as possible without having to buy another reed valve, as the Crank I got for it is nice and smooth only till about 6500, then not too bad, but, no point building a racer from it.
She will be getting the speed carb and standard exhaust for now till I get a chance to have a bit of a play with my torque pipe as I modified it to fit the slightly different placement of the Roo motor in the frame and no longer fits this motor...
Once I get my Dual suspension bike done I doubt the 'Old Goat' will get much use other than a 'lender' if any one else wants to go for a ride with me, So Keeping it simple and 'Tame'.
Due to back injuries I don't feel like riding much these days, and prefer 'pottering', hoping having a bit of suspension changes this.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Got her started, went for a put around the back yard, remembered I'd left out the rear brake pads!
So fixed that, just before I had to pick the kids up from school...
So only got a quick test ride, but yee-har!
Very strong motor, right from idle.
Very happy with this build.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Got my new front tire today.
Bike is all but finished, a couple of things left to give a coat of paint.
Goes like the clappers.
And with a bit of a bounce will do a rather scary high speed wheelie somewhere around 6000 odd RPM!

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've left the bike at my 'bush shack' (hope it's still there!).
But very nice scenery, the 'Heart of the Daintree Forest'.
I need to take some pics for another forum, and will when I get back there next week.
Borrowing a video camera/Go Pro would be good, the creeks are low at the moment with the dry and easy to cross. I didn't remember to renew my drivers license after my birthday and got a letter the other day by registered post that my license had expired!
So I'm a little 'house bound' until Monday as it is the only day they do license's here.

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno
Looks amazing man. Incredible. If it were my bike I would have use bmx handlebars and stem, and made the rear end a little longer. I would love to build my own for sure. Its just a matter of finding the time. I wish someone just manufactured a steel full suspension MTB frame that has a big enough front triangle to fit a motor with a large carb!

Did you use a jig to weld the frame together?

Also what is that line that goes from the intake manifold to the crank case?

Where can I find a tuned pipe like that one? Does it make a difference in your powerband?

Cheers!