Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Curve down, different

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks, the gusset up front ties it together more, eh? Took a while to get them cut and the frame de-rusted(mostly) . Got them cut and wired up for welding at least. Even remembered to notch the big one for the front tank mount :)

I'm thinking black frame with white gussets and fenders, white stripe on black tank...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol maniac! That's just the grinded off paint, no point sweeping it up if there's just going to be more :p I'll sweep when its done, haha. btw, I don't weld in the house, no point starting a fire for no reason eh? :)

Oh yea, forgot to post this last night, got into a couple of beers. But yea, new toy that was $300 off regular price!

No more $12 a pop little oxy tanks that barely last 20mins :D

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
1st hour playing with feed vs draw speeds. 1st time using a wire feeder too, compared to arc sticking I'm loving it. Not totally horrible for on my knees hunched over welding on a brick with snow starting to fly, heh heh :p

A couple of buddies tell me the spatter is normal for Fluxing (phew!), nothing a grinder can't fix, eh?

Going to practice way more before I weld on something I want to keep, a couple decent short beads in a foot of welds won't cut mustar :p

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
1st hour playing with feed vs draw speeds. 1st time using a wire feeder too, compared to arc sticking I'm loving it. Not totally horrible for on my knees hunched over welding on a brick with snow starting to fly, heh heh :p

A couple of buddies tell me the spatter is normal for Fluxing (phew!), nothing a grinder can't fix, eh?

Going to practice way more before I weld on something I want to keep, a couple decent short beads in a foot of welds won't cut mustar :p
That is why I am glad I got the two angle grinders at the auction.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Roger that Draco, there's way more expensive hobbies out there. And most don't let you ride your project around, heh heh.

So if you noticed the seat and post in all the pics... was because it was rusted in there good. (was a $10 bike sitting outside for 5yrs). Today was getting-the-dang-post-out-day... Turning the seat a bit and cranking it tight, then standing/bouncing on it only made the seat slip. On to forks, strapped a headset on the post tight, pop some old forks on for leverage, stand/bounce on that... headset slipped... Doh!

So into the vise it went, with a 2' granny bar and got'r loosened enough to slowly start wiggling it out.

But while I was doing that, I noticed a lot of spots here and there that I could've done a better job on with the grinder. Eureka moment! Use that post to hold the frame! At any angle I want! (omg!) Instead of crawling on the floor trying to get at weird spots, right?

So yea, I'm keeping the squashed post for other bikes when I'm done with it. With the swivel vice I can get at any angle I want to. Comfortably! Woo! (sorry, my back typed the extra woo)... heh heh.

Picage:

The squashed pipe with torch burns getting it loose:

Vertical, 1st wiggling, took a break and had a look for a sec:

Thought, hmm "turn it this way for a sec":

"Wait a minute! Loosen the swivel too":

and the "omg, I'm keeping that post after" moment:

So yea, had to share this with you guys. I looked up different techniques to get the post out, like using a headset and forks for leverage, but man. Once it was in the vise...

Cheers, and remember this the next time you're farting around with a frame, trying to keep it where you want it can be a pain.

Greg B.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
For anyone seeking to remove parts which time has glued together, it helps if you soak it with diesel oil for a day or two before hand. It penetrates deeply and has a little bit of a lubricant quality where it's needed.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You didn't know? Horrible stuff where you don't want it to be, it gets everywhere.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey heys, so after some late night practicing...

Don't need light to weld, flashlights are for inspecting finished welds:

I finally felt confident enough to slap the frame in the workmate and have at her:

Ended up with some decent looking welds: I'm at least making the factory head welds look sloppy, heh heh...

But the grinder will hide the "not-so-decent" ones anyway eh? heh heh

Slowly but surely, why rush what you can over-think, eh?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Well, last update was before xmas, oops, sorry guys. During winter I couldn't really do too much with it. Anything I didn't want to freeze while doing anyway. But now, birds are chirping, welders humming, grinders shutting the birds up :p

Added a couple of stay supports like this new cruiser frame, but a bit longer(idler pulley tab will mount to it. Also added couple of tabs under the dropouts for a single wheeled trailer in the works.

The angle of the pic is weird, but they are the same length between the stays:

Closer shot, the tabs are just 1/8 plate cut to match the dropout with a grade 8 welded on both sides:

I'm still cleaning up welds, getting ready for primer, etc... But some progress is better than no progress eh?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Its great to see the DIY'er goin at it! The braces by the drop out are sort of what I feel I am going to do also. I'll do similar but also connect as a "T" some flat thick plate metal back to the dropouts. This will have a boss with large thread for my 10 inch inflatable tire training wheels. As my Biggs dirt bike metamorphoses into a Califonia Sheepshead Fish art mobile, I don't want it to fall over going less than 5mph as it searches for krill in a dry lake bed.

MT

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Right on MT, make sure you tack'em with the chains on, I had to clearance the pedal side a bit. I had them too long/too far forward. Yea, with a T to the dropout you could hang anything off that. For sure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just want you to know I'm watching but silently. If you goof anything up, I'll get vocal. Otherwise, carry on. It's looking good so far. :)

By the way, Greg, your welds look great from what I can see.

Tom

webbee

Aug 22, 2008
That's really looking good. I was skeptical in the broke-back mock-up. Then I saw the possibilities when you added the tank. Really great line and the gusset/welding work is superb! Is the fork a springer?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Finally have an update. Been busy lately.

Samuel Johnson on cucumber:
"It has been a common saying of physicians in England, that a cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

Gettin' there 2