clutch question - Stinger motor

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
one more clutch question
The clutch on my new build seems to have an issue. The clutch appears to not disengage. When the clutch lever is pulled in all the way the engine remains locked, the back wheel will not turn. I can turn the back wheel and am turning the motor also. When the lever is pulled the clutch adjusting nut moves out when released the nut moves back but the plate does not move at all. With the nut off I can see the clutch rod move. The only thing moving is the rod and the nut the plate is not moving. This is a SD Stinger motor in a Huffy Cranbrook frame

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
My last build did that very thing. I removed the clutch cover, clutch retaining nut and lightly tapped on the clutch, breaking the clutch free so it would move away from the pads. That fixed it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The pads get stuck from the factory during long periods of storage.

Most of the time you don't need to disassemble the right side clutch parts. Remove the left side clutch actuator cover exposing the sprocket and the steel pin (bucking bar) that protrudes from the center of it. Using a piece of wood or a plastic hammer, give that pin a couple of good solid raps. That will usually be sufficient to break the stuck pads loose. Don't hit it with a steel hammer unless you place the wood on the pin first.

Doing it this way eliminates the extra work of readjusting the clutch which, if you don't know exactly how it works, can cause you more problems.

I'm assuming you have the clutch cable adjusted correctly. There really should be no slack in the cable at the engine end where it attaches to the clutch actuator arm. It doesn't take much to keep the clutch engaged if the cable is too loose.

Tom