Patina question

GoldenMotor.com

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
dance1 I have finally got a bike with a GREAT patina but my question is how can I clean up the rust while keepinp the patine and the how can I stop the oxidation and preserve the patina. Sorry for lack of detail hopefully soon the build will be off to a start and Ill have a build thread.
Thanks

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
As far as cleaning up rust, I dont think I can answer that. As far as preserving the patina, a simple clear coat should suffice.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
wd40, like the guys said. remove parts like fenders and chaingaurds and just soak them down, let it sit for a few minutes, then rub it in.

on frames, soak a rag and rub it in. do it a few times and don't worry about using too much.

i think clear coating is a bad idea. you don't want it shiny anf rusty, you want it smooth and clean.

check my photos on my profile of my maroon bike to see for yourself...:)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I find that a small stainless steel brush does wonders at cleaning up rusty chrome. The stainless wires are softer than chrome and you can scrub quite aggressive on chrome without scratching. The rust that won't clean off can be touched up with aluminum paint sprayed on a q-tip and then use the q-tip to apply it to the rust spots.
I would also recomend occasionaly spraying down the bike with WD and a wipedown. That's how I clean all my motorcycles and bikes if they aren't real dirty. Just be sure and keep it off the brakes and tires.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
you can get flat clear, which will keep the original dull look, and it will seal the original paint, rust and patina.
you just have to make sure you clean everything really well (get any and all oil off of all parts to be cleared).
even the oil from your hands can make the clear not stick.
you want it clean of all oil before spraying the clear.

wd-40 will attract more dust & dirt than what's on the bike now.
I personally do not like wd-40 because it's not a lubricant, it's a water dispersant.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
it is a awesome bike to start a project with it has a great look to it and i like that you are into the "rat rod look" if it isnt a structural problem and it looks good i say dont mess with it it took years to get it looking this way :)

if you want it to stop at this point i would clean it with denatured alcohol (auto paint shop or some hardware stores) then use a flat clear on it its how alot of guys do there rods now to keep the original paint/"rust" looking how they got it

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
A bit late at this point- but to "fresh" an area that's been sanded to bare metal, use Birchwood Caseys' "Plum Brown" (gun finish) as directed and seal with Break Free gun oil. After WD-40, many finished=s won't work

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
If the rust is real flakey wire brush or wire wheel. if you get down to shiney metal paint some Muriatic Acid on it, let it sit a couple minutes then rinse with clean water. Metal will be etched and a dull grey, for about 1/2 hour then a nice rusty patina will start to form. You can splash the Muriatic all over. get it on the existing rust too. Will help clear off the chunky stuff. The longer you let it sit, the more rust it will take off.