Sorry, I'm new here...

GoldenMotor.com

MadMarc

May 24, 2011
Arkansas
Hello all!

Last weekend I was at a Barnes and Noble and happened to see a DIY magazine featuring several articles about things that people have built. The particular magazine that I was looking at had an article about making a motorized bicycle and featured links to this forum, bikemotorkit.com and gasbike.net.
After reading that story I was hooked! I had no idea that this was possible! I'm really wanting to build a bike.
In my spare time, not that I have too much of it, I'm digging through the posts in this forum and trying to find out as much information as I can before I get started.
So in the interest of speeding this process along, I'd like to ask a few (probably redundant - maybe stupid too) questions.

1. I'm probably going with a two stroke engine so is there anything other than the Grubee Engine or Stinger Engine that I should consider or are they all basically the same?

2. I'm considering using a beach cruiser style bike purchased from Wal Mart. Probably a Schwinn or Huffy. One of the models has hand lever brakes and the other has kick brakes. Is there a preference between either style when you add the motor? I've noticed that the kits include a clutch hand lever, kill switch, and the twist throttle. It seems like you'd run out of room for the hand brakes?

3. On nice days, I'd like to ride this to work which is about 15 miles away from where I live. I'd be using rural and residential roads to get there. Is there any reliability issues with the motors running for any extended period of time? It seems like most of the posts that I've read, people are using them in short jaunts around campus or neighborhoods.

If anyone wants to add any other thoughts, advice or guidance, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks to all of you!

Marc Randall
Decatur, AR

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.
Hi Marc,

#1; mostly the same till you move up to the big $$ engines .

#2; in hind sight I would go with a 7 speed comfort bike with a 4-stroke, auto clutch, jack shaft set up . It seems to be the best rig for having a bike you can really use (imo) but will cost more money up front. Look around the supplier links here, there are some nice set ups.

#3; I think there are a fare number of folks here that really do use there bikes. As with all things, buy the best quality components you can afford .

#4; use the forms Google Search !! There are tons of posts on any topic you can think of . You won't have worry about being a pain in the butt or waiting to get your answer.

#5; Have Fun & Good Luck !

Mark

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hi there :)

boygofast and others on eBay are a good source and they answer their email. Plus if there's a problem you can easily go into dispute if you have to. Some of the non-eBay dealers won't give you the time of day.

There is basically no difference in the kits. Some have decals and some don't.

As to the handle bars sick bike parts and others have a dual pull brake lever that helps somewhat. some remove the shifter and fix with 1 ratio. I bought an old single post stem mount derailllure to shift but since I put on the motor I don't shift at all.

There can be problems with mounting the sprocket on coaster-type brakes, you have to bend the arm for clearance. Stay away from aluminum bikes, too. Steel is a better choice.

This is my onw private bug about the motors. When you get one you need to tap the mounting holes for all the studs. Many times in an effort to speed the line they short tap the holes. Not enough thread engages to prevent pulling the stud right out of the block. That's the mounting holes, intake and exhaust holes and head stud holes but those take special effort because you have to remove the cylinder. A torque wrench is needed , too. The head studs will need retorqued a few time during break-in. Retorque cold, not hot. Inch pound torque wrench and tap set is $32 at Harbor Freight and more tools is always good :)

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi- I'm assuming you may have some mechanical skills, but maybe never worked as a mechanic or in a bike shop- if that's the case I'd start out simple and basic-

if you like the results, you can always sell that bike later and move up to something more complex.

the two-strokers allow you to mount the motor without changing cranks or doing much special- 4 strokes are more quiet but need widercranks and are more expensive-

I also would maybe go 4 stroke now after two builds, but I don't think i'll be doing anymore builds- complete ones at least- and I have a 4 stroke scooter- I think they are more of a challenge mechanically though

I personally like a cruiser with a derailler on the one side and hand brakes- the derailleur tensions the pedal chain so you can usually get away without the big heavy thing on the motor's chain then- if the motor sproket isn't too big-

this avoids mounting on a coaster hub- my Micargi 7 speed hub even had a stop- groove on the motor side, and the sprocket hole diameter fit the hub perfectly- I still had to use the rag joint to attach to the spokes. I think Schwinns have a tighter clearance on the motor side, and while the sprocket will fit over the multi-speed hub , they don't hug the hub- not sure about Huffy- a hub with the correct diameter and stop ridge is a big selling point for me.

But using dual handbrakes- a DUAL BRAKE HANDLE is absolutely necessary for safety- about an additional $15- search it on e-bay or vendors here.

the multi-speed derailleur helps in pedalling- especially in any failure a long way from home, or is just nice to choose a gear to get going or another to keep rolling at speed

I,malso an advocate of a little narrower tire, and even putting 700c or 27" on a cruiser frame- but these can be added later- I find the 2.125 tires too wide and especially heavy and they bog things down- knobbys and beach tread vibrate at higher speeds

a sprung seat post helps, and so do some perpendicular bars of some sort- I like alloy BMX bars- that rise a modest 7 or 8 inches,which helps my ancient aching back

good luck!

Last edited:

MadMarc

May 24, 2011
Arkansas
Thank you all for your input!
This is a great help.
I've still got some research to yet to do. If nothing else, for my peace of mind.
I'll keep you guys posted when I do get things underway!

Thanks again!

Marc Randall
Decatur, AR