Milwaukee, new convert

GoldenMotor.com

John H.

Aug 25, 2010
Milwaukee Wi
I didn't get a kit, I just bought a fully built bike from custommotoredbicycles in Greendale.

I'm not sure but I think it has a "China Girl" or "Happy Time" -type of engine. It's a two-stroke with a 20:1 oil mix. I've read that people don't like them, I don't know why - it works for me. I'd like to hear from people about that. Should I get a different engine, or maybe watch out for something on this one?

I use it to commute to work most days (about 5 miles each way). It replaces a V8 Turbo 4x4 pickup that I used to drive. Interestingly, my commute is only 5 minutes longer!~ Most people, police included, just look at me like another bike. Or they stop and stare and ask questions. I average two gawkers per trip, so it comes out to a ratio of Gawker/Milage 2.5 to 1 !

My biggest challenges so far have been avoiding a bus, who wanted to wear the bike as a wheel spinner. (note to self, avoid drivers who drive high seat vehicles, they may not see well).

Second challenge is keeping everything bolted down tight. I check every couple of days.

Also, the plain touring seat was replaced by a nice springer seat, so my tuchus isn't numb when I get home. I've been debating getting a springer front fork too. And would like to hear people's experiences with that also.

So that's it, hello everyone! Happy Riding!

John H.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
John,
Welcome to the forum!! You will find this site very helpful. If your running 20:1 mix, your a bit fat on the ratio, Most will suggest 32:1 after a few tanks of gas, Some swear synthetic, some use outboard 2 sycle, I like to run Amsoil Sabre synthetic, I run @ 50:1, works well for me. Some folks use the OPTI-2 @ 100:1. Choise is yours, but 20:1 is too much IMO. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Mac

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I began burning an LED headlight during the day and vehicles seemed to avoid me better. You don't need a pricey light. To be seen, those battery powered LED touch lights from the drug store work OK.
The beginners guide on this site recommends 20:1 for break in and 24:1 afterwards.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Yes, check your bolts regularly. If your bike is a newer one, especially check the soundness of the fastenings on the front fender. It is disaster if that comes loose... face plant into the road for you.
I use Opti-2 and from day one at a ratio of 100-1. Great stuff now carried by many of the Ace hardware stores. Wear a helmet? Saving more than a little bit of gas, eh? Plus it sure is fun!
SB

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,John and welcome.Nyloc nuts where ever practical,green locktite every thing that has threads,and check often but Don't OVER tighten!
If you do decide to go "new" springer post a thread before you order and I will give you my thoughts on them there are several different sources.
I have used two and found they are different.Kip.

John H.

Aug 25, 2010
Milwaukee Wi
John,
Welcome to the forum!! You will find this site very helpful. If your running 20:1 mix, your a bit fat on the ratio, Most will suggest 32:1 after a few tanks of gas, Some swear synthetic, some use outboard 2 sycle, I like to run Amsoil Sabre synthetic, I run @ 50:1, works well for me. Some folks use the OPTI-2 @ 100:1. Choise is yours, but 20:1 is too much IMO. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Mac
MAc - thanks! - I've noticed that it's been staggering a bit and wanted to know why. Guess rich mix may be it. I'll lean up the mix a bit ( a tank at 40:1, tank at 60:1 etc.) and see where the bike likes to run. I use Homelite synthetic and it works, well, OK I guess.

John H.

Aug 25, 2010
Milwaukee Wi
Kip. - thanks, I may take you up on that. :) I'll find out from the mfgr what she buys and let you know.

How do you feel about springer forks verses not? I'm getting pretty good at dodging pothole but sometimes miss.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
They all have their place.Depends on your riding style.If you just like to putt along and the roads aren't to bad then a springer will give you some suspension.Kip.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the forum, it is a little hairy when a bus tries to come up on You. This is a great site with lots of good helpful guys here. I would loc-tite every bolt. If You start having problems You can usually find the answer through the search, if not just throw it out on the forum..somone will stop in to help.
Cheersbrnot

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
Welcome to the fourm John, I have the same engine from that same lady, Lynn doesn't mess around, she does Cary great products and does always have the parts you need. I havnt had any problems with the engine I naught from her, I was 220$ (bit pricy) but it hasn't lost any power, its a good build, I actually just ordered the long beach cruiser frame from her, I'm gonna have it on in a week at latest, maybe we could ride around and compare builds. I always wanted to meet up with other motorized bicycle lovers