What about a trike?

GoldenMotor.com

greathounder

Jul 20, 2008
West Michigan
Hi All, I'm 61 yrs old and due to a wired together knee cap, the wife says NO to a 2 wheeler. So I went out and got a Sun EZ3SX recombant trike. What I'm wondering is, has anyone done a trike? Also I was wondering if I can just use a weedeater motor, we have several in the garage. I wish I could find an electric kit reasonable. But I don't want to spend that much. I bought the bike for exercise, but some of the hills are a real pain.
Once on 60 minutes, they showed a bike with a weedeater sticking out of the back of the bike. Any information or suggeastions would be very appreciated...Thanks...Bill

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Bill, welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :D

I know a few that have done a trike, and only one of a recumbent.

If you go to Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home they have a complete trike and also a trike conversion kit.

Here are some videos of the only recumbent bike that I know of

YouTube - Lifan test fire

YouTube - Riding home

YouTube - Another ride

I have seen many on You Tube with a weedeater set up...there are members here using weedeater motors but mostly friction drive. I do not know much about them.

Attachments

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hey gh; i put a gebe kit on a trike for a young fellow. put it on the front wheel and it worked great. with it on the front you still have a good deal of room for carrying things. good luck you whippersnapper. mitch

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not much experience but I'm learning as I go. I think that is a heck of an idea not that you mention it. It might be just the right application for the 25cc helper engine.

You would have an engine that would stop and start automatically and give you an assist to run along at about ten to 12 mph on the flats. Good speed going downhill to set you up for the next hill. You could pedal it as if the hill were half the size and go right up it. All in all a darn good solution for a three wheeler if you don't mind a little pedaling.

Check with me in a few days and I should have a pretty good drive wheel done and I can give you complete plans to put a motor on the bike. Matter of fact I will mount the 25cc I have coming on the front wheel of a bike just to see if it is practical for you. That is just as soon as I find a bike.

greathounder

Jul 20, 2008
West Michigan
Thanks for the wonderful welcome. I spent most of yesterfday trying to get the old Mac weedwacker to run. Maybe today I'll be brave enough to hold on to the spark plug to see if I'm getting any spark. If no spark, then I guess it's ready for the recycle pile. I really like the idea of having a helper motor, instead of going too fast. I'm just wondering if I have a friction drive, won't that wear out the tires? I'd hate to have one of those 100 psi tires to get worn threw. I've been reading thru a lot of the postings. You folks are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again...Have a greyt day...Bill

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You have to get the tension just right for it not to wear tires out. I have heard of some who only get 100 miles on a tire, and others that have gotten thousands of miles with a friction drive.
:ride2: