Sprocket Enlargment Help

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
hey guys,
as you might of seen on the higgins, it has a weird hub. turns out its just barley to big for the sprocket to fit on it. Ive tried sanding it w/ a sanding bit, no luck tho. Does anyone else have any tips on how to enlarge the sprocket
thanks
Sam

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
Somewhere on this forum there's a solution to your problem, it involved cutting off the top of the dust seal allowing the sprocket to seat, I'm new here and have no idea how one would search for it but I know it's here complete with pic's on how and what to do.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sam, are you saying the kit sprocket won't go over the hub? Use a round or "rat tail" file to enlarge the hole in the sprocket. Also, looky here- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/coaster-brake-dust-cap-mod-1841.html
Thanks for tip! Why didn't didn't I think of that? I sure had plenty of time to with sitting there filing away with a chainsaw file forever and a day. I've done several of them, the last with the dremel tool (slowly) and your way makes lots more sense. Not only is it easier, but there is also less chance of enlarging the hole out of round (off center). Good one. Should be a sticky.
SB

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I have enlarged a couple of sprocket holes using a pair of round files. I chucked one in a power drill and held the other by hand. With the drill at full power I placed the sprocket hole on to the spinning file. The sprocket will spin. The other round file is used at the bottom of the hole. While the drill with file is spinning the sprocket from the top use the other file to file the bottom of the hole. It's not easy but worked fine for me. This removes metal at a rather slow pace allowing you to stop often and get the hole just big enough. This aids in proper alignment.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
I had the same problem with mine. I used a Dremel with barrel sanding tubes.
The Dremel spins clockwise. Twirl the barrel sander COUNTERCLOCKWISE
in the hole checking periodically with calipers. Start with a coarse grit.
finish the last .005 to .010 with a fine grit. I fitted mine in about 20
minutes to +.005 and true within .002 TIR..flg.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Support onshore manufacturing and take it to your local machine shop so that it's bored correctly and dead-nuts for concentricity. Knocked mine out in about five minutes. Know what size you want and do a little shmoozing. It'll cost next to nothing. I know from whence I speak.

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
In my case only a small amount of metal needed removal. It was quick to do it myself rather then go into Hammond and back which takes 20min each way. Living out in the sticks has some disadvantages, but overall I like the peace and quiet.