Hello From Texas!!!

GoldenMotor.com

GrimBrothers

Aug 20, 2009
Texas
Hello, so i have a some worries, am i really allowed to ride my motorized bicycle?... I've already had a run in with a Cop and since then i just iffy if i can drive it... To clear some things up im 16, no liscence or permit, i have a helmet, i know the road laws and i have need to drive my beast of a bike... My Motorized bike is a OCC Shcwinn Stingray with a 48cc Grubee skyhawk engine and i have a back light and a headlight.... i looked it up at my local DMV's info.... its not classified as anything as it goes less than 30 miles an hour and its less than 2hp.
So i need some feedback, some proof if any that i can carry on my person that i am legal to drive it, because i do need a mode of transportation as i need to get a job...

Thank You in advance,
Grim

BorooM12

Mar 30, 2010
Upstate New York
Hello, so i have a some worries, am i really allowed to ride my motorized bicycle?... I've already had a run in with a Cop and since then i just iffy if i can drive it... To clear some things up im 16, no liscence or permit, i have a helmet, i know the road laws and i have need to drive my beast of a bike... My Motorized bike is a OCC Shcwinn Stingray with a 48cc Grubee skyhawk engine and i have a back light and a headlight.... i looked it up at my local DMV's info.... its not classified as anything as it goes less than 30 miles an hour and its less than 2hp.
So i need some feedback, some proof if any that i can carry on my person that i am legal to drive it, because i do need a mode of transportation as i need to get a job...

Thank You in advance,
Grim
Depends what did the cop say ? I live in NY and there suspose to be illegal here but ive only been pestered by a cop once he said you have to have a driver licence to operate anything with a motor once i gave him my licence he left me alone havnt bother me sense only way to tell is to go to dmv and ask in person other then that just turn motor off when a cop is near you and petal dont try and provoke them by reving loud as you pass a park cop keep on ridin i would say just dont provoke the power tripin cops that the last ting you want to do or you could be sorry

GrimBrothers

Aug 20, 2009
Texas
would emailing my local DMV about it give me a chance?... i live in the woodlands, Tx, and my local DMV is in conroe, Tx... so driving is about 30 minutes but my parents dont want to go through the hassle of driving for an hour and getting nothing....
Again Thanks,
Grim

TomeTec

Mar 31, 2010
PA
Hi All,
First time on this site. I will be electrifying my new Schwinn 7sp. cruiser. Not sure how yet but hopefully neat and clean. My last project involved spreading the frame and putting a 10 speed with coaster brakes on a Schwinn by using 2 deraillers. I welded the 10 speed onto the Schwinn gear. Worked ok. Then I used a car blower motor with a rubber chair wheel against the tire and 2 spong saturation 12 volt batteries. That worked great to keep me from wearing out to peddle with the kids. Worked great for a very cheap trick. Looking forward to reviewing the club info. Thanks. TT

TomeTec

Mar 31, 2010
PA
I did a lot of research on Motorized Pedacycles and found out that you can run them with a tag legally if you meet the criteria of lights and such. You can research your state online or like I did in the library. I found that electrics don't require a licence and you can legally go up to a powered 25mph. Also, if you go through a city park with a gas motor... they will stop you. But if you go with an electric there is no problem. All this info is what keeps me going electric.
TT

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
Check out the legal forum on this site. TX law on motorized bicycles is vague and subject to the opinion of your local lawmen.
The way I read the statutes, you can ride a gas assisted bicycle legally (unregistered) if you meet goped specs (under 40cc). You are restricted to roads of 30mph speed limit and less. That makes it difficult to commute to work.
From what I've read, you will not be able to register your motorized bike because there is no certificate of origin for it from a bonafied manufacturer.
I read that one guy cut a piece from a moped frame that contained a serial number, and had the title for that serial number. He welded the piece of moped frame to his bicycle frame. The result was that he had a serial number and matching title for his motorized bicycle. He is still restricted to roads of 30mph speed limit or less, but at least he is legal.
I occasionally see non-running mopeds for sale on craigslist for cheap. I should buy one that still had a title and try it myself.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can legally ride them in TX unless there are some kind of city ordinances. I think the limit is 50cc and 2hp, and 30mph. You need to make friends with a cop or two and you'll have it made. If you don't ride the wrong side of the road or sidewalks etc, you should be fine. You'll probably get a couple Barney Fife's giving you a hard time because you are young, but if you are calm, they should get over it. Ask them if they know your mom or dad, like they are somebody important in the town, casually, and see if they do. If they do, it will probably clear it up fast (small towns everyone knows everyone).