spokes on wheel

GoldenMotor.com

cardenw

Apr 1, 2009
usa
is it better to have more spoke on the wheel and have a large gauge of spoke and would a 140 spoke wheel work with the the sprocket kit.wee.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The rubber mounted "clamshell" "ragmount" (whatever ya wanna call the kit supplied POS lol) is designed for a conventional 36-spoke wheel as are most of the alternates. While you can of course make it work with more spokes and many have - it starts to get to be a nightmare.

It's far easier and in some ways better to go for a heavier gauge spoke than more of them, unless it's the fashion yer after ;) but remember that even the heaviest gauge spoke won't do you a bit of good if it's laced into a cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rim lol

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
The rubber mounted "clamshell" "ragmount" (whatever ya wanna call the kit supplied POS lol) is designed for a conventional 36-spoke wheel as are most of the alternates. While you can of course make it work with more spokes and many have - it starts to get to be a nightmare.

It's far easier and in some ways better to go for a heavier gauge spoke than more of them, unless it's the fashion yer after ;) but remember that even the heaviest gauge spoke won't do you a bit of good if it's laced into a cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rim lol
If I'm not mistaken "clamshell" refers to the expensive type Jim used to make and they are not that bad. Just a huge disppointment if you change bikes. I prefer the stock rag/rubber because they are better at shock absorption and take less time for me to install.

I'm also partial to "cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rims" because they are light, don't rust, and cheap. Haven't had bent rim problems in thousands of miles but then again I try to avoid 2' deep potholes and don't drive over curbs. :eek:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I haz "cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rims" myself, and between the abuse of the roads round here, the crazy bastid riding the bike, and prolly the stock sprocket mount - my rear rim in partic is never true.

*shrug* I'm sure they're good 'nuff so to speak, but they do not fill me with confidence lol I do know (unfortunately) they like to taco way too easily, while no rim is invulnerable - I think the rims I have on my bike are it's weakest link.

Potholes wait in ambush, jump out right in front of you when yer flanked by a cager and a gravel drop-off, I swear! I seen 'em!

sneaky o.o

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I haz "cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rims" myself, and between the abuse of the roads round here, the crazy bastid riding the bike, and prolly the stock sprocket mount - my rear rim in partic is never true.

*shrug* I'm sure they're good 'nuff so to speak, but they do not fill me with confidence lol I do know (unfortunately) they like to taco way too easily, while no rim is invulnerable - I think the rims I have on my bike are it's weakest link.

Potholes wait in ambush, jump out right in front of you when yer flanked by a cager and a gravel drop-off, I swear! I seen 'em!

sneaky o.o
I agree that rims are the weak link, steel or alloy. What turned me off the most was last year my buddy dented one of his fancy "elliptical" rims and for what he paid to replace I could buy three (3) brand new Glacier Point bikes with six (6) brand new heavy duty alloy rims. :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I agree with Xlite, unless you go with a heavy duty workman rim the stainless steel spoke alloy rims are just fine. I try to remember Im riding a bicycle and not a m/c.