CA Police say my motor bike cannot be made legal.

GoldenMotor.com

Don Rypinski

May 30, 2008
A friend of mine turned me on to the King Bike Motor which I ordered online. I was told if the motor was under 50cc's and the bike couldn't exceed 35 mph I would not need a helmet, or a license plate, and could get up to 140 mpg. So I bought a single speed TRUCKER bike with a knee action spring on the front and mounted my motor on it. On my first trip on the streets of Costa Mesa, I was ticketed by 2 motorcycle policeman. They told me that I needed a class C M1 driver's license which I have, and that I needed a DMV issued license plate which I would not be able to get because a vin# is required and a Motorized bike has no vin# They also said I would need lights, a horn, turning indicators, a motorcycle helmet and insurance to be street legal. So I was required to pedal it back to my shop without using the motor. After looking over the motorized bike forum, I found information that said I should mail the DMV $18.00 along with form REG 230 and make up an engine # if the engine didn't have one (which it didn't). My friend said he had a friend with a king powered motorized bike who was constantly stopped by the police but when he produced a copy of some law he carried with him, they let him go with no citation. I would very much appreciate any advice I can get as to whether or not I can legally ride my motorized bike on the streets of California. Thanks, Don

YardMaster

Jun 8, 2008
"YOU REALLY SHOULD READ & PUT SOME THOUGHT INTO IT"

Dear all, I will be around to follow up on this. I will also have a more definative idea later.

Unfortunately, in a lot of places these bikes are illegal or restricted. I dont understand why a small 33cc golden eagle bicycle kit would not be allowed in some states. it is not fair to people who enjoy riding a bicycle, but because of bad knees or what ever- they have to give the hobby up. mopeds are great, but only if you are capable of coming up with the money. what it cost to buy a moped, most people have to set aside for emergency money. lot of people are just too poor or hard up to even buy something that will save them money.

Strange thing is that those little bike kits arent given the same consideration as the electric ones. electric is good, but not always feasable.

I do know one thing. Our main stream society really doesnt like motored bikes or mopeds. A lot of states pass discouraging laws for that reason..

They say the majority rules this country. I think that the "majority rules" thing stinks. A closed minded majority runs our country while the silent minority continues to shut up.

There is absolutely no reason why every state couldnt be open to a small 33cc bicycle engine for older or not such good of shape people who just dont want to give up cycling.
Furthermore, a country that has such manipulative legislation to bring about desired social results, is not a free country.....

Oh well, i guess you have deny some freedoms for the benefit of so called safety and the convienance of drivers and pedestrians who dont like having motored bicyclists around.....

We really should band together and change this. There is no reason that a small 33cc engine kit could not be considered a consumer product just like the electric kits.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! anything powered by gas is classified as a motor vehicle.....
Does that mean a hedge trimmer is not a consumer product and therefore needs a liscense plate in order to trim a damn bush!?

Think about. Our apathy has alot to do with why we not a real free country, among other things.

Jason
Edit/Delete Message

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
BIG "A" (bad word beginning with F) men! These people that we elected to "serve" us don't care about "Us". Stop me and call me a threat, to be little
me riding a bicycle with a lawn edger motor on it while a car passes with four gang members in it looking for a woman or old person to rob. Mary Jane smoke pouring out the windows! no less. Yea our government is right on track.rotfl

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi; i watched the news in seattle today and after a 3min bit on all the people riding bikes now. i called ch.5,talked to a reporter about our stuff. he said he would look into it. tomorrow the rest. try it in your town. explain mpg .

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It's the same here in Canada, a motorized bike is a motorcycle no matter how you look at it. I have been left alone for more than a year and have even had police pull up beside me at red lights but I just pretend to peddle and act like I am doing nothing wrong.
I think here in Ontario the cops are confused about what is allowed because we have just legalized electric bikes that have peddles and I have peddles and when I see police I make it look like I am working hard to peddle. On the other hand , who knows , maybe they just can't be bothered with me and I do try not to look like a guy breaking the law.
I had an electric and I did not like always waiting for a charge but one day I will tow a tiny generator that will power an electric bike, which I'm sure will stay within the law.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
hi; i watched the news in seattle today and after a 3min bit on all the people riding bikes now. i called ch.5,talked to a reporter about our stuff. he said he would look into it. tomorrow the rest. try it in your town. explain mpg .
Yeah I saw the bike piece on king5.com - hope they have one about motors

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
just because a cop tells you something, doesnt means its true.

in the years ive been riding, its obvious that most cops are ignorant of the laws concerning motored bikes. many times, they just 'make it up' as they go.....

Jun 25, 2008
It's the same here in Canada, a motorized bike is a motorcycle no matter how you look at it. I have been left alone for more than a year and have even had police pull up beside me at red lights but I just pretend to peddle and act like I am doing nothing wrong.
I think here in Ontario the cops are confused about what is allowed because we have just legalized electric bikes that have peddles and I have peddles and when I see police I make it look like I am working hard to peddle. On the other hand , who knows , maybe they just can't be bothered with me and I do try not to look like a guy breaking the law.
I had an electric and I did not like always waiting for a charge but one day I will tow a tiny generator that will power an electric bike, which I'm sure will stay within the law.
Exactly my experience here in the UK, although we we're trying to get them EEC type approved, turns out it costs upwards of £20,000!!! and there is no dispensation for low volume manufacturers like ourselves.....

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I was told by the dmv there was no laws on the books about motorbikes,but i was required to put a tag on my 49cc moped,my 1979 49cc hobbet my cub etc.My ebike does not.A state senator told me that it is because the state makes money on the tag,road tax.The complaint coming from non motorbicycles owners was if i need to buy a tag for my harley why are you letting the motorbicycles go.Harleys Dad

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
Hello my name is Phil and I also ride in CA. I hade to go to the dmv and get the california motorcycle
handbook for 2008. In that book from the california dmv on page 3 it says (word for word)
hope this helps you. I carry the hand book with me at all times. One cop said that I was smart to carry the book

MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES
A motor-driven cycle is:
• A motorcycle with a 149 cc or
less engine size.
NOTE: You may not operate a motor-driven cycle on a freeway if signs are posted to prohibit motor-driven cycle operation.
MOTORIZED BICYCLES
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:
• Atwo- or three-wheeled device,
capable of no more than 30 mph
on level ground, and equipped
with:
- fully operative pedals for
human propulsion.
- an internal combustion
engine producing less than
two gross brake horse¬
power and an automatic
transmission.
- an electric motor, with or
without pedals for human
propulsion. (VC §406[a])
• A vehicle with pedals and an
electric motor (not more than
1,000 watts) which cannot be
driven at speeds of more than
20 mph on level ground even
if assisted by human power.
The motor must stop when
the brakes are applied or the
starter switch is released (VC
§406).

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of VC §406, you:
• Must be 16 years of age or
older.
• Must wear a properly fitted and
fastened bicycle helmet.
• Are exempt from the motor
vehicle financial responsibility,
driver license, and moped plate
requirements (VC §12804.9).
You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.
MOTORIZED SCOOTER
A motorized scooter is defined as any two-wheeled "device" with:
• A motor, handlebars, and a
floorboard for standing on when
riding, and
• The options of having:

- a driver seat which cannot
interfere with the operator's
ability to stand and ride.
- the ability to be powered by
human propulsion.
The motorized scooter's exhaust system must not be modified or altered.

dance1

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
If you do not have a plate, and you have a GAS engine (406a) in CA
you are breaking the law....but luckily most police do not know the law....
so if you show them that piece of paper, most likely they will just accept it.

I got the M2 and the plate, it was easy, and it's required with a gas motorized bicycle. Electric bicycle is 406b....

Now if you get a hybrid gas/electric bike....that would be a great argument to not have a plate.

I ride my MB all the time, and do not want to get pulled over ever.
I hate that.... As soon as they see a plate and a helmet, they usually leave you alone which is what I want.

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
what do you have to do for the m2 and plates
You send in the motorized bicycle pdf for the plate (reg230 on the DMV site) and send $18 for it.
Then you can get the M2 endorsement permit at the DMV, costs $28 and you just have to take a written test.
It was pretty easy.
You have a year to take the "skills test" but many just never get the skills test,
or take the test on a 50cc scooter and you'll get your M1, which is good for MBs as well.