Cheap & Easy Brake Light

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Im a fan of cheap and easy, and have written a few threads of similar titles. While building my Lifan 125cc I began to think this bike will draw more scrunity from local Enforcement, so maybe it should have a brake light. I found a LED trailer clearance light on ebay for $3, it super bright. I mounted it in a well seen location below the seat. It came to me to use the brakes as a switch. I added a throttle stop to the cable between the levers. I then mounted a contact screw to a piece of stiffer but flexible plastic with a screw for a contact. Simply make the lead to the brake always on and hook the ground to the screw with a ring terminal. Adjust the throttle stop to hit the screw about 1/4" before the brakes seat. It makes positive contact and the plastic flexes increasing contact pressure. This is on V brakes but probably can be adapted to most brakes where you have access to cable travel. There is no danger of a short if the wire gets loose as it is a ground, light just will come on.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Finished wiring the bike and must say the brake light works extremely well. Very bright and easily seen. The ground switch set up is flawless in operation. I cant imagine it would ever wear out. May(or may not) require adjustment over the life of the brake pads, but that is done in a few seconds with a screwdriver. If all things were this easy!