Giant Boulder Rescued...Shift Kit Perhaps?

GoldenMotor.com

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
Hey Guys,

I saved this bike - Giant Boulder (Year Unknown) - from being junked the other day. It was outside for a while...not sure how long. It struck me as a potential candidate for my next project...a bike with a shift kit. I was looking at buying a Micargi Pantera new, but this was for free and it would be great to save that $250. Here are some photos...I'm concerned about the rusted spokes on the rear wheel and on the bottom on the frame - I believe it is called the crank case.

Also, I would be getting cruiser tires instead of motorized bicycle tires.

Let me know your thoughts - They are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A little rust under crank case...that it's not the best picture
Nice score, Giant makes very solid bikes.
You are looking at Jackshafting it correct?

The 'crank case' is called the 'Bottom Bracket', BB for short, and no worries there as everything is removed including the front derailleur and replaced with the shift kit BB parts.

I couldn't tell if your bike has 1 piece cranks or 3 piece (the pedals are held on my a bolt or nut), if it's one piece (one long Z arm set) then be sure to order the bottom bracket parts with the JS kit as only works with 3-spiece cranks.

The weak link on the bike is the 7-speed rear wheel but the benefit of having one is the front and rear V brakes.

Even on a new nice 7-speed like a Pantera you are still dealing with a thin 7-speed chain so you need to hone your shifting skills but your rear sprocket and derailleur look pretty bad so I suggest:

Replace the rear wheel with a 3-speed internal, a Shimano works fine and then you will have an entirely new 410 chain (get HD chain) pedal and engine drive train and dual V brakes, a very sweet shifter setup for the price of rear wheel.

Here are couple more tips...
Get a dual pull brake lever and an Iridium spark plug, an NGK BPR6HIX or maybe even a 5 for your Northern winter climate, when getting your shift kit at SBP.

Good luck with it however you decide to go ;-}