motor bicycle gas tank leak

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
what is the best way to find and fix a leak in a gas tank. its not at the petcock but some where on the tank and so small hard to find it?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: gas tank leak

You know I was wondering when someone was going to ask this. You can get hurt or killed fixing a fuel tank.
Here's a product in the J&P catalog 1-800-397-4844 called Kreem #702-469 and sells for $29.99 it will repair the leak. you can also go to Parts For Your Harley®, Honda Motorcycle Parts - J&P Cycles® that's the safe way to do it.
Now the dangerous way. Empty the tank and flush it wit hot soapy water and I mean lots air out and do it again at least 3 times. Seal up the tank and put it in a tub of water just like you do when looking for a hole in your tire. When you find the leaking spot mark it so you will know where it is. Clean the area good with sand paper do this by hand don't want any sparks and to bare metal. Now of the part that can really get you hurt. Small leaks can be soldered with the type of solder that plumbers use and the use of a propane torch that heats up one of those large soldering irons. Or by direct heat from the torch. And you can also oxy weld it. The most important thing is the use of an inert gas in the tank while doing this and that's the catch. The use of exhaust gas works where you afix a hose to the cars exhaust and stick the other end in the tank you are working on or the use of nitrogen purging in the tank while you are doing the work. You see there's a bunch of ways things can go wrong and it will or can burn you or blow up and kill you and others. If I didn't scare you enough not to do then good luck. I've been involved i tank repairs for many years 1000 bbl tanks and tons of training and we use very special tools that the average Joe doesn't have. So there you go a safe way and a dangerous way.
the address of jpcycles is in the edit box.
Norman

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento

OR you can just buy a new tank? I too repair my own tanks as needed, but it is a very risky business.

On a good steel tank I use oxy-actelyn thinner I use propane and lead solder.

Typically these tanks will leak if overtightned, the brazed on studs on the bottom will begin to weep. MIGHT be able to use JB weld on a thing like that, otherwise it is purge and re-braze.

Mike

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Mike
your right on what you said I left out the option of buying a new tank and how the leak might of started in the first place.
Norman

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento

Cruiser, I'm ready when you are! Work is picking up a little around here, I've got a Whizzer to dis-assemble and ship, one coming in for 100 mile service, and an old WC-1 coming in for a general check-up. I really like service work, I wish I had 1000 customers here locally!

I need to get off my butt, and get some pics taken of ror sale items also!

Mike

Cruiser, I'm ready when you are! Work is picking up a little around here, I've got a Whizzer to dis-assemble and ship, one coming in for 100 mile service, and an old WC-1 coming in for a general check-up. I really like service work, I wish I had 1000 customers here locally!

I need to get off my butt, and get some pics taken of ror sale items also!

Mike
Great idea Mike! The more the merrier I always say.

If you don't have much mechanical know how, buy a new one. The Kreem tank sealer cn be a huge pain in the butt and very messy if you are not prepared.

Dan

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i been wanting a gallon gas tank since i like to do long rides. glad you all talked me outa repairing mine. strange thing is it leaked for about 3 days and now has stopped leaking but still getting my gallon tank from motorbikemike as soon as i get back from hawaii (^)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

started leaking again but located the leak. it is where the screws come out the bottom to mount it. not sure if i am going to try to repair it or not. at least i know where it is coming from