Spark Plug = no rear movement

GoldenMotor.com

jliehr

Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Hi,

I'm on my way to creating my very first motorized bike and I'm having some trouble with the rear wheel. With the spark plug installed, the rear wheel will not move whatsoever. If you take it out, the bike gladly moves and works. My only issue is why is this happening? Also, how could the spark plug even be interfering with the rear wheel not moving?

:-||

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Ok you have to have the clutch lever and cable hook up and pull in for the bike to move after you get speed up let in out to start it

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome to the forum. Here's an answer to your problem - which really isn't a problem. Suggest you do a search 1st before posting your problem in the future. This forum is full of information. There probably hasn't been a problem that hasn't been solved.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45864

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
That^^^
Was thinking of the same post.

jliehr

Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Hi,

Thanks, I was unaware of that thread. Thank you. Again though, how do I go about adjusting my clutch? According to that thread that is the problem. This is my first build so I'm not quite sure of many things so bare with me.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22729 is one of the best and most easily understood tutorials on proper clutch adjustment. Thanks to Gearnut for it.

In addition to your clutch not being adjusted properly the clutch pads could be stuck. This is a common and easily fixed problem. You can find the remedy if you use the Google Custom Search and use the key words "Stuck Clutch Pads". Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

jliehr

Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Hey guys, I am getting very angry with the bike as I've done all the above steps multiple times and the bike still will not move. I am posting more pictures of the clutch itself below, please tell me if there is something I've done wrong or out of the ordinary as I'm already bashing my head in on the seat on this one.

http://imgur.com/a/44qPH

Thank you.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey guys, I am getting very angry with the bike as I've done all the above steps multiple times and the bike still will not move. I am posting more pictures of the clutch itself below, please tell me if there is something I've done wrong or out of the ordinary as I'm already bashing my head in on the seat on this one.

http://imgur.com/a/44qPH

Thank you.
First thing to do is remove and discard the small spring between the cable guide and the clutch actuator arm. It serves no useful purpose except to make the clutch harder to pull.

There is a jam nut on the cable guide. If you loosen it you can rotate the guide so it points more directly toward the clutch actuator arm. Retighten the jam nut.

Next run the handlebar lever adjustment all the way in toward the lever then tighten the cable stop so you have little to no slack in the cable. Don't make it bow string tight but just snug. Some say to give yourself some slack, maybe 1/8" of free play. I prefer tighter than that.

After you do those things get back to us with what happens.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Make sure the chain is not hung up on the inside of the sprocket cover. I've had some kits that required grinding the cover, as well as some that needed the edges ground off the sprocket teeth to allow the chain to move.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
that spring goes over the cable "sheath" and is located where the clutch cable runs close to cylinder.to keep from overheating cable.

my engine was tough to get rolling at first. it took some hard pedaling and a few attempts to get it rolling enough to make it fire.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
that spring goes over the cable "sheath" and is located where the clutch cable runs close to cylinder.to keep from overheating cable.

my engine was tough to get rolling at first. it took some hard pedaling and a few attempts to get it rolling enough to make it fire.
Sorry TJ but the small spring isn't a sheath. The larger one is and protects the cable from heat and chafing against the cylinder fins. The smaller spring that the kit instructions tell you to put on the cable between the clutch arm and the cable guide is not needed and only increases the clutch pull force. It is not required to pull the clutch to the engaged position.

Tom

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
You are right tom, my mistake. I thought it was the bigger spring on there
Guess i need to pull the beast out of winter
Storage and refresh my memory.
My apologies to op if i created any confusion.

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
Best thing to do to understand the hangup is to go on ebay and buy a gear puller for less than $10.00- Boygofast or any bike engine seller. You can use the puller for the small crank gear, clutch, and the sprocket. Take the small crank gear off first. Watch the woodruff key. Push the piston down with a piece of wooden dowel rod. If it is free, remove the chain and turn the clutch. It should rotate. You will need this tool for future work you can count on it.
I use the spring over clutch cable just so the arm doesn't vibrate around. Any little thing on these bikes will make alot of noise if not battened down.