Did we ever figure out the leaky gas cap solution?

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I probably missed it - what is the real solution to the POS leaky stock gas cap on the black China girl gas tank? Mine leaks when I lean my bike, even when less than 1/2 tank. When I ride it's constant. I don't mind a small amount as a trade off for breathing - but a gas soaked crotch is getting old. Make me glad I don't like smoker girls.

Now - For the first time my precious bike :D fell over - thank gawd, nothing damaged. But the fuel really flowed out!! The stock cap was not hit or damaged or anything - but I'm just sick of the leaky thing.

Will just buying a new cap help??

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In your case it may....I haven't had any problems once I drilled the holes in mine.

How about drilling a bigger hole and running a tube to the bars like a dirt bike? That and a new thicker gasket.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would say look for a new gas cap. That just ain't right.

I would first make a gasket from an inner tube. Those work in plastic bottle that I carry gas in. What you want to seal is just the lip of the tank to the cap. The center venting should not allow more than a drop of gas to leak.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im serious if you have an old inner tube cut an insert for the top of your cap... what you want to do is to tighten it down to make a seal with the rim of the gas tank.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, I tried the caps from my Honda QA50, CT90 and the one from my Yamaha scooter and none were interchangeable.

I drilled a tiny hole maybe 1/32" at most in the top of mine and they've never leaked...like I said before, I think the sloshing gas pressurizes the tanks a little and the leaky gasket allows it to escape and "leak". Try a tiny hole in the center of the outter part of the cap and a new gasket, both vitrually free.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Maybe a diagram would help! I have read where to drill the hole at least 4 times and I still dont know where to drill the hole!

Ted