handgrip, vinyl & pedal restoration

GoldenMotor.com

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
hello all
i have some vintage schwinn pedals , grips & seats . they're not totally shot , but rather nice , but showing some hazing & aging
every thing is still supple & not dry rotted ... they are a little bit dirty
i was wondering what if any automotive products would help me clean up & maybe rejuvinate these items ?
thank you

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
If they are not too bad, I would gently wash in warm soapy water, allow to dry very well and try a leather conditioner on saddle and grips. Some conditioner for use on auto weather strip might work on pedal rubber.

Last edited:

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
If some of the material is leather, wash them up like Moto Pope said and once dry, put some lotion on them (yep, the same lotion we put on our skin).

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All I would add it this:
DO NOT use Armorall near anything you might paint in the future. The silicone can cause savage fisheyes in any future paint unless cleaned off very aggressively.
I prefer mink oil or saddle soap for leather and vinyl.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All I would add it this:
DO NOT use Armorall near anything you might paint in the future. The silicone can cause savage fisheyes in any future paint unless cleaned off very aggressively.
I prefer mink oil or saddle soap for leather and vinyl.
Ditto on the Armorall. It has been found to dry out and ruin leather and vinyl. In fact a lot of the products made to make vinyl and leather "look new" contains kerosine or similar petroleum products that will do more harm than good.

Saddle soap and products made especially to clean and condition leather will be your best bet. Those 'car show' products auto parts stores sell aren't very good and give short term results.

Tom

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
agreed , if there were any places on a bike id want to keep firm contact with , it would be the seat , grips & pedals
thank you for the replies & tips ...ill get some pictures up soon

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Just add my ditto to any Armorall-like product. The silicon in those products attracts dust and are too slick, as you say. Then, that shine does not add (let's just say detracts) to a vintage look most desire.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I was going to say don't use Armorall, but more specifically because you want to stay on the saddle, not have it slide out from under you. Same for the pedals and grips, it might make thing look pretty for a while, but they'll be slick as .. well, y'know.