Amsoil Interceptor

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So I just purchased some Amsoil Interceptor and it will get here in a few days. This engine is almost through break in and I was wondering what ratio I should mix at?

Should I just go with the standard post-breakin 32:1? Or a higher ratio? I have not used this oil before and wanted to hear some feedback

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't know abt 'interceptor' but we ran amsoil with great results in the dirtbikes at 50:1 years back... and ran em HARD, in HOT weather, at hi altitude... 5-6kft asl.

IMO u would be safe at 40 or 50:1 and probably see quite a bit more power.
What does amsoil advise to run the interceptor at?
...a HT engine is just NOT a critical tolerance performance machine... almost anything should perform well enough... lol
32:1 is too much for any of the new hotrod synthetics, IMO.
...and too much lube oil in the mix actually leans out the fuel delivered to the chamber!
Lean is the worst thing you can do to any 2 smoke.
Best
rc

Last edited:

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Thanks for the reply rusty. I think I will try 40:1.

Asmoil says 50:1 on their site but I have never run anything lower than 32:1 before so I am a little apprehensive. After a month or so of Amsoil I may switch to Opti-2 because I have heard good things about it but I may stick with the Amsoil depending on how I like it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've run both Amsoil 'Injector' (50:1 premix, for break-in) and Amsoil 'Saber' (100:1 premix thereafter) w/o problems, at their recommended ratios - you can run them a touch richer (oil/fuel) if you're concerned, but extremely rich oil mixes are an overcompensation that can do more harm than good (carbon/oil buildup, stuck rings).

It'd be better to run an oil formulated for a mix you're comfortable with then to mix a synthetic at such heavy ratios...

Here's a coupla pics of a high-mileage motor (aprox 10,000) always run on Amsoil at the above ratios BTW;

(yea, blew a head gasket lol, hppns)

Notice that despite such a "lean" oil mix, there's still a noticeable carbon/oil build up, you can prolly imagine what it might look like had it been even 32:1 w/a 50:1 synthetic after all those miles...

Still, as with anything it's wherever yer comfortable with ;)

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So you guys think if I run 50:1 with an additional Marvel at 64:1 it will run good with little buildup? My 3000 mile engine has had some bad carbon buildup before which seriously cut down my performance so I wanna keep this bad boy as clean as possible.

double trouble

Oct 10, 2011
Motor City
interceptor is really a watercraft ,snowmobile oil. It is not made for our applications but since it is rated tc and jaco fc , I'm sure it is fine. These little motors could run on vege oil. Skip the mmo on every tank. Run it about every 4th tank. It has about 30% solvent and 5wt oil. It will not hurt anything ,but if you run amsoil you really do not need additional cleaners.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
OK thanks for the info! If I ran the MMO every fourth tank do you think I could just add it to the tank mounted on the bike when I fill up or should I keep a completely seperate gas can with the Amsoil/MMO mix?

double trouble

Oct 10, 2011
Motor City
dump it in and pour gas mix over it. It will mix just fine.
You can also mix it when you make your 2 stroke premix.
mmo is light and mixes easily.

I like it in some of my cars as a fuel pump lubricant.
It also works for a heavy carbon clean when fed directly through a vacuum line , just be careful not to hydro lock the motor. dip a little , then let it run , repeat a few times.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
iam running amsoil denominator at 2.6 oz of oil to one gallon of gas i am very impress with results so far i have a longer comute to work so this is the reason why i am running a heavy oil mixture

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

Pablo has 3k posts of experience and his opinion on the mix ratio differs from mine... I think I'd surely take HIS advice.

I've been in a pinch, way back when, and sloshed 6ozs of 30wt into a gallon of high test to run something or other with a 2 smoke engine... it got the job done.

It's a new day !
The new synthetics are far superior products than anything we ever had in days gone by. Personally, I would not be concerned running ANYTHING at 40:1 and would probably slim it to 50:1 after some test runs.
100:1 Opti2 is enough to make me nervous, but quite a few very experienced fellows claim to have good luck with it.

Question that comes to mind is, if you wouldn't try it on a HT china girl engine, what would you be willing to try it on? lol

I'll do it when I run through the supply of assorted chainsaw and outboard motor oil I've got bangin' around here already. I just blended a bunch of short bottles and ran it today at 50:1 and beat my last best speed through the radar sign by 1 single mph ! (I gotta go yet another main jet size smaller to lean it out just a little more. It 4 strokes all over the rpm band, but has very good pull at lowest rpm, which I do like.)

Best
rc

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
For me, I'm running Home Depot off-the-shelf synthetic 2 cycle found in the weed whacker section @ 24:1 (break in) then I'll move to 32 ~ 40:1 after break in with the same stuff. Right now plug has a good mocha color.

Question is, Would it make a noticeable difference (both performance and HT engine life) by going with an Amsoil product??

BTW - I found this chart that some may find useful. Amsoil 2 Cycle Comparison Chart

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That amsoil chart is interesting, East...

it almost leads me to think that whatever testing and formulation they have done is all voodoo science.

then they come up with fabulous advertising campaigns based on results of the testing and lab work.

All told, it seems to me that a china girl engine has decent sized bearings and cooling fins on the cylinder for it's displacement and the horsepower produced.
The significant problem we all have with them is shabby metallurgy and even worse QC. lol

Over-all, in reading through the great MB threads, it has never seemed to me there are a great number of reports of riders seizing their engines, or throwing rods, which would be the case if current oils were ineffective for the design.

Besides being a hack, I'm on a zero budget and really can't afford the exotic oils when the cheaper products will get the job done.

It's all good! lol
rc