Converting Norman's Headlight

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Norman really has a great headlight that runs off the white wire. But I NEVER ride at night. However, I wonder if something could be rigged to make it a working brake light. You know, turns red when brakes are applied. Stays off when not braking.

Anybody done this yet?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you would use a brake switch to your brake levers it should work good. Getting one off a motorcycle or scooter is probably the easiest way to go.

I think I might have one....when I have some time I'll see how difficult it would be to mount. I'll keep you posted

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Sorry Mr. Larkins :(

The switch I have that I thought was for the brake lever, is a brake switch for the foot pedal type, and will not work on the brake lever.

I was just at ACE this morning and was looking for a switch that might work, but they did not have much of a selection.

I'll keep looking :)

BCD

Aug 8, 2008
I've heard that you can use the Mag Switches from alarm systems to turn on the back light. mount the magnet on the brake arm, and the sensor behind it. I've not seen it done but logically it should work.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
yea, i thought so too, just don't know how to put it together and with what parts to use...but i'd light to build one.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've seen a couple kits that come with brake lights...not sure what type of switches they use.

Really just a small momentary switch mounted to the brake lever or the brakes themselves would probably work...

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Hi.

My state requires brake lights on all mopeds. I also desire to live a long life.

I took my Dremmel and made some stainless steel barrels (from a ball-point pen), and mounted a pair of them on both brake calipers. From each barrel, I coonected a wire into the lighting system. When I squeeze a brake line, the barrels touch, and complete the lighting circuit. The barrels are insulated from the brake cable by aquarium air hose, so they don't short-out. These barrels fit perfectly over the ends of the (2007) Schwinn caliper boots.

Soldering stainless steel is not easy, so a person could use copper barrels instead (from Home Depot in the cable-TV electronic section). A person may not even need to Dremmel the copper barrels, because they are already pretty close to the right size. However, the stainless steel looks better (my bike is black and silver). The switch looks pretty sharp. It's simple, cheap, reliable, and effective.

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow.

VaporKing

If it doesn't kill me, it makes me stronger.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
The alarm panel in my house was showing a trouble code,so i was going to look at it myself, before calling the alarm co. and low and behold as i opened the panel door i found a small switch on the door that sets it off .its called a tamper switch,so i took it off and tried it on the frount brake,i think it will work.PLEASE DONT BREAK INTO MY HOUSE TONIGHT. I WILL TELL YOU IF IT WORKS IN THE MORNING. HARLEYS DAD

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I'd think something like a horn button mounted on the left handlebar grip could be used for a braking signal. It's a momentary contact for an electric signal to the lamp.

I would think a small red light emitting diode could be set up on the handle bar so that anytime the brake lamp is lit the diode will light. If it doesn't it may alert the driver to the brake lamp bulb being burnt out etc.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi.

My state requires brake lights on all mopeds. I also desire to live a long life.

I took my Dremmel and made some stainless steel barrels (from a ball-point pen), and mounted a pair of them on both brake calipers. From each barrel, I coonected a wire into the lighting system. When I squeeze a brake line, the barrels touch, and complete the lighting circuit. The barrels are insulated from the brake cable by aquarium air hose, so they don't short-out. These barrels fit perfectly over the ends of the (2007) Schwinn caliper boots.

Soldering stainless steel is not easy, so a person could use copper barrels instead (from Home Depot in the cable-TV electronic section). A person may not even need to Dremmel the copper barrels, because they are already pretty close to the right size. However, the stainless steel looks better (my bike is black and silver). The switch looks pretty sharp. It's simple, cheap, reliable, and effective.

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow.

VaporKing

That sounds really cool. Am looking forward to pics. Not sure I fully get it.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Here's what works for me:

Notice that the two shiny barrels touch and complete the circuit when the brake calipers move-in. The rubber boots on the ends of the barrels absorb any "slop", and allow full braking force to be applied. I just disected the stock boot, and removed enough of the boot to accomdate the barrels. I'll bet that any geometry teacher would appreciate the inevitability or reliability that two cylinders would provide for colliding and completing a circuit. They basically can't miss each other. The barrels are insulated from the brake cable with aquarium air hose.

I looked into a solution like Mr. Larkin's door interlock switch earlier this summer, but concluded that the introduction of the interface for the switch to the bike, was convoluted and prone to unreliablity.

Has worked all summer on my prototype build, and plan to continue using it for build #2 (his and hers 150 MPG moped set). Switching-over to a Honda Magna for next summer.

Still working on my anti-theft stun electrode seat stinger, but watch for it next spring.

Just keeping it simple and stupid. Works for me.

VaporKing

BCD

Aug 8, 2008
Glad I could help!!! I'm partial to beer, unless of course you were referring to IRISH coffee... I'm all over THAT... but only after we ride!!

BCD

Aug 8, 2008
Oh and for the seat stinger... How about this...Use a 1 Farad capacitor hidden in a water bottle with black anodized plates on your seat. no turn off capacitor?? you'll not only get your bike back, but the theif will be able to be recognized by his/her new walking style...