New Guy in Ca

GoldenMotor.com

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Just registered and looking forward to my first build for the fun of it. (already have 2 motorcycles and 1 is a sidecar rig)
First problem seems to be finding a reasonably priced engine kit that is legal in California. Still looking.
In the short time I spent reading some of the threads I've found a whole lot of info. THANKS!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
The general consensus for the cheapest kits is to try ebay at the moment. boygofast, luckyearlybird, rose326a to name the recognized sellers.
Just remember that after sale customer service can be very important and the ebay sellers don't really offer that.
If you buy from a vendor such as thatsdax you pay more for the kit, but that price comes with excellent customer service.

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Welcome to the forum!
The general consensus for the cheapest kits is to try ebay at the moment. boygofast, luckyearlybird, rose326a to name the recognized sellers.
Just remember that after sale customer service can be very important and the ebay sellers don't really offer that.
If you buy from a vendor such as thatsdax you pay more for the kit, but that price comes with excellent customer service.
I'm big on customer service as I work for an auto dealer and know how important that is!

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Piston Bikes phone # is on their website and they answer the phone
and they have a storefront open to the public.
They don't answer the phone and no voice mail.
Called another place simi local to me. Answer is....NO MORE 2 STROKES TILL THE EPA SAYS SO!

That's ok..I've got other stuff to do.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Motovelo.us will sell in CA. They'll ship, or you can drive down to Laguna to pick it up in person if you're cruising around OC. PCC Motor in Rancho Cucamonga also sells to CA and will ship or let you pick-up. They sell kits on eBay under the Member ID inu521.

I also have a kit on order from sun-thing28 which is a direct ship from China at $196 delivered for an 80cc kit. The price is about average, but the wait is about 2 months. I ordered it before I found the local vendors who would sell to CA, and I'm still waiting. They seem to have good feedback and have sold a bunch of these kits, so we'll see what happens. It looks like I'll be getting it sometime around Halloween.

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
My $.02
Skip the HT china option. Go with a Honda 35, Honda 50 or a Subara 35. Get a Staton, or Golden Eagle drive system.

Come out to the race in Victorville on October 22. You will see all kinds of systems.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Motovelo might be a little more expensive but is definitely worth it! They have metal throttles instead of cheap plastic, ball bear tensioner, RT carbs, and 100% legal. Unlike gasbike. I personally dont like grubees. ESPECIALLY if they have a cns carb. Plus gasbikes loyalty to there customers are terrible. Motovelo is always will to work with u.