Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

GoldenMotor.com

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
it all starts somewhere...

I was kinda worried about the drive shaft thing as well. figured you took it off for some reason, but, wouldn't be the best idea to ride around with it spinning right near your dangelies, if you catch my meaning.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
it all starts somewhere...

I was kinda worried about the drive shaft thing as well. figured you took it off for some reason, but, wouldn't be the best idea to ride around with it spinning right near your dangelies, if you catch my meaning.
laff

Oh yeah, I do catch your meaning. The drive shaft will have a heavy metal plate over it. There will be two sets of spinning universal joints and shaft bearings so it could get ugly real quick. I also still need to build in the floor and transmission tunnel, etc.

bchowk

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
You still out there Fishguts? Your clearly a busy guy, just wondering when your thinkin you might maks some more steam. Can't wait to see that thing RUN

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Just to let you all know I haven't forgotten this thing. It's just that the summer season is here and that means hitting some VW shows with my reverse trike (have another one tomorrow), so I've been working on that instead.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Dig that VW...are you bloggin about it on a Volksrod forum? Where could I go to read more about it?
Thanks! It's in a temporary phase as I have a pair of '36 Dodge fenders coming for it and it will have a rear fender, too, with skirts. I like the hot rod look but will ultimately be taking it to more of a steampunk deco style. Just having fun with it.

I post a build thread on volksrods.com, which at the moment is down for maintenance, so I can't give a direct link to the thread. But when you go there, just search for "Return of Ratgutz".

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
Mr. B,,,,,,I'm in love, what a utterly cool bike, looks like it stops as good as it would have in the Good Ol Days,,,,make sure you have good rubber on your shoes :)

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Well I haven't died or anything!! I just got sidetracked on a bunch of other steampunk stuff. I've built a couple guitars, did some more work on the reverse trike etc etc. I'm working on a commissioned steampunk lamp right now, and some stuff to get inventory together for two upcoming shows. When the weather gets better I'll be back on the steam bike.

So here's where I'm at with it at present. I've decided to refit things so it all works better together. I'm converting a 4-cycle engine to steam by modifying the cam, as I wasn't satisfied with the 2-cycle which liked to hydro lock on me. I also decided to abandon the bicycle idea and go with a trike instead. This will give a great platform for the engine and associated boiler and plumbing. Maybe get a trike conversion kit or find a decent purpose built trike that's fairly sturdy. I'm also replacing the electric controls with a more conventional steam injector. So lots of tweaking to do yet ... when I can start working outside again.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Atomic Zombie has a home built trike conversion somewere on there site I have it somewere see if I can find it.........Curt