Noise

GoldenMotor.com

Caddy

Jan 29, 2011
Arizona
Newbie here seeking information. I've been contemplating a build for sometime but have the following concerns: The kid down the street has a motorized scooter and the noise it makes just drives me crazy. I want to build a bike but don't want such a shrill noise for me or my neighbors. So, the questions is are there quieter mufflers available or would it just be better to utilize a 4 stroke? I am making the assumption that a 4 stroke is inherently quieter than a 2 stroke. Going fast is not a concern. I just want to be able to complete local errands within a mile or two from home without having to light of a V8 engine to go a mile to the store. Traditional scooters while quieter,(hondas, vespas etc.) require registration and insurance and completey negate any savings on gasoline. Opinions appreciated.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The kids scooter is probably more annoying than your motorbike would be,because he prolly stays in the same area or block while using it,and everyone hears it for an extended time.

If you start up and drive off ,you will be way less annoying to the neighbors.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Caddy,
just as a reference,,,I can hear my grandkids in their trailer while my bike is running
(EZM driven 4stroke;))

PS,,,if you are near me (FH), feel free to contact me about seeing/hearing/test riding :)

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I think they are a little louder than a 4 stroke because of the piston port timing.
But, the typical 2 stroke has mimimal mufflering to begin with, since they usually are on something small.
On a bike, you can attenuate the noise better than on a weedwacker or scooter.

My personal preference is a 4 stroke. No mixing fuel, engine life much longer too.

We don't have kids on scooters to deal with here because anything with a motor is considered a motor vehicle. The police take care of that problem.

We have the morons on Harleys with straight pipes- wanna trade?
Pretty quiet right now except for a snowblower on occasion.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Yea, they is nice and quiet, 'till the cap falls off 6.5 miles from home and by the time you get to the house it feels like you had a jackhammer in your head, weld the cap on early to save your eardrums

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you extend the pipe and put the muffler way out back, things get real quiet. I have two that there is more noise from the carburetor than the muffler. Intake sounds can be muffled with an air box and thick filtering material,ie, foam.
Tom

Caddy

Jan 29, 2011
Arizona
My Thanks to all who responded. Guess I'm just getting old. I don't like noisy things anymore! Your responses have helped me decide to go ahead and build it. Still not sure if I'll go 2 or 4 stroke though. Bill, I'll be in touch with you as you are fairly close by. Thanks again to all.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
To true Caddy, the older we get, the less we like noise.
(I'm reminded of my dad yelling at me to "TURN THAT CRAP DOWN!)
As far as my 2 strokes go I use tuned pipes with hand made extension mufflers.
I made mine out of two cheap stainless steel thermos's,
one large one and one small one.
First I pry out the plastic cup part from the cap and toss the pop up stopper.
I then weld the cup part to the main body, drilling a large hole in the top were the exhaust pipe will be welded in place(I use a spigot/spring arrangement)
I then cut a large hole in the bottom so the smaller thermos can be slid in as a baffle.
On the smaller thermos I weld the cap on and drill a series of symmetrical holes all the way through the can, the number of holes varies depending on how loud/back pressure I need.
I then drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the baffle.
I then wrap the baffle in steel wool and slide it inside the muffler can and secure it in place with 3 machine screws with some red loctite.
Very quiet, sturdy, inexpensive, easy to make and rebuild-able.
good luck
BBB