Frame vs rear mount?

GoldenMotor.com

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
I'm curious to hear opinions on which is better. Frame mounts look a lot nicer and they must have a lower center of gravity. However, I can't help but wonder if it might be really hard to pedal with a 12-inch wide (possibly very hot) piece of metal between your legs. Any thoughts on which is better for someone who likes to pedal occasionally?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Honestly it's purely personal preference with what few advantages/disadvantages one would have vs the other being a trade off that works out with no clear winner lol

I think ya summed it up pretty well in your question actually ;)

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
I have a rack mounted motor kit. Right now it is bugging me because my frame is a bit unusual and the kit isn't attached in the optimum way. If I had a normal frame it would be trouble free.

Mounting a motor in the center of a frame looks cool. It turns your bicycle into a motorcycle visually. Having a rack mount means easy installation and removal.

I'd be afraid of damaging parts with a motor mounted in the center of the frame so close to my fast moving feet. I pedal my moped whenever I run out of gas. Sometimes that is more than a mile away from a gas station. I also pedal for starting and going up hills. Often I pedal to assist the motor going into strong winds. I can't have anything interfering with pedaling.

If you have a powerful motor you won't need to pedal as much. If you just like to pedal for fun without the motor running then a rack mounted kit that disconnects from the motor drive would be best for you.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thing I love about the rack mounts is all the noise and vibes are behind you. Really makes for a pleasant ride. The center of gravity thing really is not noticeable. In our happy lil crowd here, the average rider weighs some where between 89 LBS and "Mother of Good, how do you buy cloths" and sits on the second highest point of the bicycle. Might matter in the Death race but tooling around, I never notice it. On top of all that is more comfortable with regular peddles and no tank. (my favorite thing about 2 smokes is the normal peddle width)

After the first time I rode one, the look grew on me like you wouldn't believe. #4 on my projects list is a rack mount on a step threw framed Point Beach. Is down the list from a pusher for most of the same reasons.

Just went out for a smoke and counted 4 MBs in various degrees of assembly. All in-frames, lol

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Never owned, ridden or even seen (in person) a rack mount, but I own several in frame mounts and heat is NOT an issue. Just don't lean against the muffler with bare skin.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
"I'd be afraid of damaging parts with a motor mounted in the center of the frame so close to my fast moving feet. I pedal my moped whenever I run out of gas. Sometimes that is more than a mile away from a gas station. I also pedal for starting and going up hills. Often I pedal to assist the motor going into strong winds. I can't have anything interfering with pedaling. "

I only pedel to start. 10-15 feet. My frame mount pedels almost as easy as regular bike. I have a 7 speed and I can make the effort on my part pretty easy to pedel.