Noob, First build

GoldenMotor.com

hunterkn

May 2, 2010
Lubbock Texas
I just built my first mb and love it. The bike is a Huffy Big Daddy and the motor is a 66cc skyhawk that i got from gasbike. I have been riding it non-stop and even my girlfriend rode it. I cant wait to start customizing and modifying it!

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great fun. you are hooked. welcome to the site. we have lots of talent here so feel free to ask questions. one more post and you can post pictures and links. glad to have you with us

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Nice cruiser. I'm in Katy. I get my motorbike out of storage Tuesday, May 4.

hunterkn

May 2, 2010
Lubbock Texas
Thanks ya'll, Are there any must have mods? Im wanting to put a springer fork on it and curious to see how it would look with some ape-hanger style handle bars. I think they would make the bike more comfy for me, im a taller guy. Any input to make my bike better is appreciated.

XYZBicycle

May 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks ya'll, Are there any must have mods? Im wanting to put a springer fork on it and curious to see how it would look with some ape-hanger style handle bars. I think they would make the bike more comfy for me, im a taller guy. Any input to make my bike better is appreciated.
I'm a noob myself - just got my bike working last week, and am still breaking it in. Am also interested in what mods/upgrade parts are recommended.

I just got back from the bike store and Auto parts store with the following:

- NGK spark plug (I've been running the plug that came with the kit)
- Good, thick cruiser bicycle chain - coaster brakes don't work when your chain snaps.
- Mirror for handlebars, so I can see traffic coming up behind me.
- Everything needed to add a front brake (caliper, handle and cable) - I've read articles that stA front brake provides 70% of stopping power

Other Upgrades I'm considering:

- Upgraded fuel line and petcock (mine leaks quite a bit)
- Chain tensioner with bearing - I just know that thing is going to wear out quickly.
- Heavy Duty Center Kickstand, as it seems a bit precarious leaning that heavy bike to one side.
- New helmet - Currently using my bicycle helmet.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I recomend upgrading your intake with the bullet one from pirate cycles,and a high proformance air filter from sick bike parts.I've done this on all 5 of my bikes they run much smoother with the upgrades.Heres some pictures of 2 of my bikes with the intake and filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you've got a dremel there's some basic clean up & finishing work overlooked by the manufacturer in the interest of reducing costs - it's pretty easy to do and best of all it only costs your time (& mebbe a gasket set if you do the whole thing): http://motorbicycling.com/f13/basic-porting-16646.html

If you don't wish to delve into tearing your engine apart just yet, that's fine - I'd still heartily recommend doing at least the intake & exhaust as it's not only really simple but provides the most benefit, here's a link to just that part of it: Basic Porting, post 164391

While this alone won't provide a huge gain - it does help provide some more power at high RPM & WOT as there's less restriction & a much smoother idle & running at any speed. I will say that accessorizing with performance parts without doing this basic clean up is robbing some of the gain you'd get with those parts ;)