Little Hard Starting ?

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
It was starting pretty easily, but it seems since I did that lube job for the squeal I am having a hard start, after two or three tries it seems after hitting the tickler several times it starts, but when it's not starting, I am getting sort of a whirring and as if the tire isn't moving but it is and the engine just isn't kicking, so, does this mean the clutch is slipping after the squirt of oil I gave it down the clutch cable holder or what ? Could I have over adjusted the clutch and it is not totaly engaged when I pop out the clutch lever ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Whoa, . . wait a minute, . . I just checked the clutch cable arm and its pretty tight, does that tell me that it is possible that the clutch is not fully engaged ?

[email protected]

May 14, 2008
If it starts with pushing the tickler, sounds to me its a fuel problem. If you didn't do this yet clean out the fuel valve, empty the tank and unscrew it there's a screen up in the tank I had to do this a few times, The paint peels off the new tanks

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hi Tom,
That crossed my mind but nah, thats to easy !
The bike has only been running a week, . . Thanks I'll check it and let you know.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Good to know thats there Ron, thanks, I'm gonna check out the fuel
possibilities first and then I'll check that, The only way oil could have gotten to the clutch is through the seal, I'm not sure if that is possible at this point, I do know that there is not play in the clutch whether engaged or disengaged, I am thinking, . . didn't I read there is suppose to be some play there ?

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
In the last post I completely forgot to reply to Tomsloan,

Same thing, It doesn't want to fire-off, and two or three times, 1/3 choke and jiggle the tickler and it firs, I have one of those external cup filters with the paper filter maybe that is clogged or something,
maybe it couldn't take the 20:1 oil, I don't see any direct dirt, and the gas filter had a little what looked like maybe a piece of paint and a little bit debris , all outside the screen, how thorough should that be cleaned, is it possible I didn't clean it properly ?
It looked free and clear when I stuck it back in.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK, fixed, Clutch over adjusted, back to normal.

Hang loose Easy Riders, and Remember, " If you ride at night wear white ! "

[email protected]

May 14, 2008
I dont know much but if its turning over when you pop the clutch, its not the clutch but after I cleaned out my fuel tank screen I had too actualy take off the bottom of the carb and blow out the jet it was clogged solid! you can test this first by taking off the fuel line from the tank and try to blow through it. It should be squirting gas out if you have the air filter off if not its not real easy to blow through it even when its clean but if nothing goes through you can tell