First time build

GoldenMotor.com

JDBIKER

Apr 12, 2010
Ohio
Hello, I am new to the site and started my build mid March, Stumbled across this site while collecting parts to build my Micargi stretch cruiser. All I can say is thanks to all who have posted here. Sure has helped in lots of ways. I am using the Skyhawk GT-5 Slant head. I hope to finish monday night.
I just need to weld up my exhaust and intall chain and a roller/guide. I have about 12 hours in the fabrication to date and could have started with a different frame to make things easier for my first build. All of the post here have sorted out a lot of my forseen obsticals during the fab work. I have ran into a problem using the stock 410 chain with the 68 tooth sprocket from one of the site sponsers. The chain will not wrap around, it actually starts to become out of alignment with the teeth. I didnt find any other info about the sprocket. Should I run the 415 (wider) chain. I did run a file and wire brush over the rough areas of the new sprocket. Any info would be great. I'm looking forward to getting into the tuning and break in phase.

Thanks JD

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Lay the sprocket on something you know to be perfectly flat. If the chain is "bent" yes, replace it, if it's the sprocket, send it back for an exchange.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Welcome to the Forum.

The teeth on the sprocket may be too thick for the 410 chain. What I have found is that the first couple of links will fit and then the chain begins to ride up the sprocket. If this is the case, you will need to use the 415 chain.

If the sprocket is from Manic, inform him that you are using the 410 chain and he'll machine a thinner sprocket.

Last edited:

JDBIKER

Apr 12, 2010
Ohio
Thats what its doing REDB66. I will try the 415 chain today. I like the upgrade to heavier than stock anyway. Thanks for your help everyone and I will let you know how it works out.

JD