Just looking for an opinion from bicycle lovers out there!

GoldenMotor.com

Do you think ADDICTED should be considered a "green" company?

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I have added all of the bikes that will currently become available, after complete overhauls. :) For those who are interested.

Thank you everyone who has posted replies in this thread. It is appreciated.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been thinking about this for a while AM. "At your door" Bicycle repair and tune ups. Use a MB with a trailer containing tools and a bike rack. Capable of towing or hauling a stricken bike back to the shop. Company logo on the side. Would get some notice and free press. From the biz side of it, be great word o' mouth and any thing green goes a long way. (Think I might have to start building that trailer after talking about it for 3 yrs, snork) Would use a HF build for that one.

Takes a lot of energy and massive amounts of fumes and emissions to scrap metal. And fuel. It already been done once. Just sayin'

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Does anyone really know what being "green" means? This is being used as a verb or an action word. I understand being "green" as doing something to help prevent future damage to the environment. Am I right? I understand that there are differing opinions on the subject but the whole point is making a difference regardless how small or trivial. I mean it has to start somewhere. It takes someone or something to kick you in the a** to get you motivated in the first place but once you get rolling others can follow. I have been restoring bikes from the scrap yards here in Sc. for years if for nothing else but to keep them out of the recycle center. I do it because I feel I'm doing my part to help out. Even if it is trivial.

I think what you are doing AM is a real "green" step and if someone sees this as a step forward and they start to step in the same direction there will be a domino effect which could lead to major improvements. As I said before it has to start somewhere. The actions of the few can move many. So keep up the "green" and maybe you will inspire someone else to do something "green"

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
DAN!!! What an amazing idea!! Thank you soooo much, I'm very much so going to work out the fine details, and incorporate that idea into ADDICTED BICYCLES!! Wow, very good idea. :) :)

Thank you Dag, I appreciate it. I am hoping that the perception of bicycles will change somewhat, and the public will choose a recycled bike over a new one. I need to build a reputation, and so far I have 7 bikes to work on. With those seven, I hope to establish somewhat of a name for myself. Like you say, ya gotta start somewhere. I've already been in the planning stages, with a few trial runs, for two years now. I feel the concept for ADDICTED is complete, and I am ready to start investing money, and build an inventory, thus starting sales. I'm hoping for the best, thank you for your encouragement!

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
AM, I think anything you do to keep people on a bicycle, motorized or not, is helping the environment to some degree. It's a big environmental boost with no engine, not to mention exercise that a lot of people don't get, and it is still less fuel used than a car, even a motorcycle or scooter, with an engine. Hat's off to you bro'. I hope everything works out for you and I admire your continuing efforts to make your business better and being conscious of your actions.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Long as you can subsidize your income till this thing takes off it's a great idea! I'm thinkin about doin the same thing in Dallas we should start a chain store you can be the CEO we could share parts ect. It would be seasonal work for ya tho but you could spend the winter refurbin bikes for sale in the spring just need a little capitol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Long as you can subsidize your income till this thing takes off it's a great idea! I'm thinkin about doin the same thing in Dallas we should start a chain store you can be the CEO we could share parts ect. It would be seasonal work for ya tho but you could spend the winter refurbin bikes for sale in the spring just need a little capitol.
I was thinking some sort of thing like that too George. Sort of coalition sharing/swapping parts, concepts and the like.

Spending the weekend working on your trailer idea.

Still haven't worked out how to the rack or hoist part but getting there.

.flg.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Ok guys, we could really be on to something here. If we started a coalition, or union of a few of us riders, parts and bicycle suppliers, customizers, what have you, all under the same "business concept," there could be real potential/POWER in that. I think we need to consider this idea further.

???? Yes/no ????

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I'm in. See what I mean It has to start somewhere! LOL It's the snowball effect. Thanks guys you are validating my point. Great idea why not keep each other in mind for parts and the like. we could keep it in the forum loop and do a free-bay thing here, Amongst members of the forum. we start a thread letting others what we are looking for then forum members search scrap yards, bone yards and the like. then post what we find here, you get what I mean. You smarter fellas can work out the bugs I'm just pushing the snowball a little farther. If I can be of any assistance let me knowcause I'm always finding bikes and parts here in Sc.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, we need to figure out who's onboard, see what areas our parts and services would be available to, figure out a communication and shipping method, etc. It would take a lot of organizing. I think it is possible, nonetheless, and it would be a new concept in bicycling, and motorbicycling alike. Great idea, and well worth the thought. A wishlist has been added to the ADDICTED site.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got up today and went out to work on 2 MBs and a bike. finished up at 11 PM. Great day! But had a lot of time to think about the banding together thing, finding an' fixing old bikes and the mobile bike repair concept. Really, really cool all around. You guys are great. The freely sharing of ideas and good cheer is astounding. Just sayin'

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I've put some thought into it as well. It's a pretty exciting concept. The very fact that the "community" would exist, could entice more cyclists and motorbicyclists to exist. Don't forget that you can do mobile bicycle repair, and motorbicycle repair. This can go further to on call assistance, like CAA, so if you blow a tire, or snap a chain, or something like that, you go into your wallet, pull out the (insert company name) business card, and you will be saved! A dude on a motorbicycle with a trailer, tools, and parts will pull up behind you, shake your hand, fix your bike, and you'll continue on your merry way. Unheard of, very new, and hey, take a look around, there are just as many bicycles as there are cars. (exaggerating a bit. lol) There could be a membership, (with a fee) For the CAA like service. :) I've been thinkin too. :) Let me know what you all think!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, Interesting! In a heavily populated area, that would be awesome. How many times a week do you read or how many times have you broken down a long ways from home? Really cool concept. Only 3 MBers in my lil town but a bicyclist every other car. Flat tire or what ever.

LOL, now tring to figure out how to get all this on a biz card.

"ShellyBikes.com
Motor kits for bicycles
bicycle repair and tune-ups at your door or at our shop
Free pick up and delivery
Bicycle rode side assistance"

snork, put a magnetic biz card on every bike I see parked. (Call me The Green Spammer!)
laff

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
we should see how many want to get on board with this idea...My town is way too small for this but I'm about 20 miles from a really busy part of town and I could just use my MB to get there. I remember being 15 miles from home and got a flat. Not a real problem but when the only thing around a three in the morning is you the road and the train tracks it really sucks. LOL so this could be really useful for the on-call part. Only question is are we going to make this like a "franchise" thing? Try to get as many as possible on board? We would be like the motorized AAA club. LOL! Cool Idea! the crazy thing is this could work.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'd say the magnetic business cards on every bike you see, do it as your own personal business, put your own name to it, I'd recommend focusing on the on call repair and to your door repair on bicycles or motorbicycles. Do it how you want, it's a great idea, and it's a good business venture. As for a worldwide coalition, at this point, I feel it's gonna need some kinks worked out before it's turned that big. I'd say, if you want to do it as a personal business, go for it! At this time, I've spent two years trying to figure out exactly what I will do with the business. See I'm a perfectionist of sorts. lol. I've got 7 bikes now to work on, and that's going to keep me busy, because more bikes are on the way soon, and my landlord doesn't want his property looking like a bicycle junk yard. I gotta build so I can get a cycle of product moving, and if I do the repair services or on call services, it will be a later addition to my already established, addicted bicycles, and addicted motorbicycles. I definitely support everyone in these ideas, I'm not ready to act on them just yet. I believe that in order to do things right, it takes time, so I'm not going to rush it. Investment money into parts, tools, and a damn good shock absorbed trailer that can take the weight of all the tools and parts, and not throw them all over the place as I'm riding, leaving me with a mess when I arrive at the customers location. Lol. As for the part sharing thing, it's good in concept, but realistically, there has to be a price for the shared parts. Not sure if that's been said or not, but shipping isn't free, so it would become a hassle. If a request for a part is put on the wishlist, it should have a pricetag as well, as efforts were taken to aquire and recognize the part when coming across it. Just my thoughts on the matter. Great idea, but the money needs to at least break even with shipping. Reciever pays shipping, maybe a recommended donation for services? I don't know, throwin it out there, what do you guys think?

The AAA club worldwide.... I just want to say, yes it can work, just saying that it can't be rushed. A committee will need to be set up, ground rules laid down, money will be involved with customer memberships, paying for parts and gas and tools, all that stuff. If it's a bunch of us under the same name, such as AAA or CAA or BAA or whatever, then it will be one business, with employees worldwide. That's a complicated payroll. Communications would need to be worked out, and map locating/hiring of road mechanics to cover wide areas of many countries. See what I mean guys, on your own it's a good local idea, as a coalition it becomes increasingly difficult. Again, just my two cents, please correct me if I'm wrong. :) I love where this is going, when I started this thread, I was looking for opinions on my company. Now, I have been given ideas for future additions to my company to make it even better, and hopefully helped you guys to start something up too!! I love making a difference! Ha

Cheers guys, this is fun. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Big time, I couldn't agree more AM. My thought was more of a passive sort of lose affiliation of similar business. Share marketing ideas sort of deal. I'm not much of a joiner, lol.

Dag, really like the AAA, nation wide approach. They laughed at sea-tow when they started. Then the Coast Guard stoped towing boats for free and they got huge! It's like AAA but for boats. Easiest way to get rich is invent a church or sell people work. (Franchises)

Post script; figured out how to use a hand truck as a hoist/tow truck. Gonna be cool, can't wait to get started on it. Thanks again George!

.flg.