Brew Town Biker Looking to Motorize

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeled

Jun 18, 2008
Milwaukee Area
Hello! I'm a long-time human powered Bicyclist and am (like many) looking to find an efficient way to get around. I have a commute to work that's fine for motorized transportation but just a bit too long for me to pedal it every day. I work in an office with limited shower access so that's a wrench in the works as well.
I have bike shop experience and I have a collection of bikes. I figured one would make a good motorized machine, but I'm afraid of poor quality engine kits. So I'm hoping to get some input on these. I'm very new to this but am very excited.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The kits most of us have are not bad once you get them right. They seem to do just fine mostly. I have read a dealer on ebay telling everyone not to buy the chinese kits because they are not worth mounting. I would have to differ with that opinion. Yes quality control is not good, but once you get them right they seem to do pretty well.

Lots of crap can go wrong but lots of people here have had most all that can go wrong go wrong so someone here can give you all the advice you could ever want.

twowheeled

Jun 18, 2008
Milwaukee Area
Thanks for that advice. I'm new to forums in general so please bear with me. Is there a site I can go to for a list of manufacturers or an area on this site people say what make/model they have? I know this question is so elementary but I just learned about motorized bike kits TODAY so I'm REALLY new to this. Thanks for all the info.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum :D

I'm going on year five and over 4,000 miles on my 2-stroke china motor. But you could always go with a 4-stroke Honda motor or Subaru. I hear they run forever. I do have a buddy in Nevada whith a 2-stroke chinese motor with over 7,500 miles.

And like deacon say's, once you get the bug's worked out, they are great

:ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I dont know any sites that let you do a side by side comparison... I personally think all the two stroke china kits are about the same. Now the others vary a bit I think. Also they jump in price significantly.

twowheeled

Jun 18, 2008
Milwaukee Area
Hey guys, Thanks again for the good info. I am noticing that many of the motorized bikes I see here are cruisers and mountain bikes (26" wheels). I have an English Robin Hood in the 27" wheel size. Is there anything keeping me from motorizing this bike? I read somewhere (I can't seem to find it now) that you can only do 26" wheeled bikes. Thanks again

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wheel size matters not - if you are going with a frame mount 2-stroke (or even 4-stroke), obviously frame clearance matters. A HD frame is best as well. Indeed - there will be something wrong with your kit...and it's your job to figure it out. rotfl But we'll help.

With a light bike, light spokes may not be the best with a bolt on sprocket, but there are alternatives there as well.

Go Fast

Jun 11, 2008
Go Fast From Florida

Hi Folks, Up to now I have been pedaling a recumbent, but I've been getting an aluminum mountain bike ready for a gas engine. I want a V mount chain drive. The question is which one? Tons of web sites with products that are similar or even exactly the same. I'am asking for advice, quality and dependability is what I'd like, but this all hard to sort out. Go Fast needs help in so many ways. Thank you for what ever info you can provide.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Thatsdax is one of the sponsors on this site and he has a great reputation for service after the sale. Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.......................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought my kit for boy go fast and after I got the mess I made of the installation fixed I liked it just fine. This is the place to come ask your questions.