these things suck

GoldenMotor.com

TurboGoat

Oct 26, 2009
Ruston, LA
so I got it done.

It's a cromo diamondback. The kit is a Grubee 80cc slanthead. I put new brakes shifters wheels and seat on it with the kit. I fixed the front derailleur and ran the clutch pull into the leftside shifter, really the action isn't any harder than moving the old derailleur. Got it all buttoned up night before last and shoved out into the darkness and nothing. I've got spark fuel(wet plug) and compression, wtf. My mix is 50:1, I plan to drain the fuel and remix(wicka wicka) to a 24:1. Wish me luck.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the choke lever is all the way up, it will flood the engine.. try it at about 1/2 -2/3 of the way pointing up the next time you try to start it.
After it warms up a little, point it down to run.

Also, 24:1 is a good break in mix...

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
I have seen so many of these "Failed to start" posts!

I don't understand it...I've had a lot of kits from many different suppliers...they have all started.

Different levels of power...different levels of vibration...but they all started-up!

Jim
LOL, just wait until I get mine. I've managed to kill 2 weedeaters in the past three years. Its going to be a cluster! (Get ready for the show! Aaaaaah!) ;)

TurboGoat

Oct 26, 2009
Ruston, LA
I have seen so many of these "Failed to start" posts!

I don't understand it...I've had a lot of kits from many different suppliers...they have all started.

Different levels of power...different levels of vibration...but they all started-up!

Jim
Yeah man I was disappointed to say the least. How much pedaling do I need to expect on this initial start up?

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Hmmm Quarter 4 grubee skyhawk.. The Red air cleaner with the newest speed carb. That was the last batch to ship out Pre EPA ban 2009.. The site says " A RUSH TO EXPERIENCE" Lets hope this is not what they are talking about.

Try disconnecting your kill switch and see if it makes a difference. You have spark, compression , and fuel.. Something may be wired wrong...

I purchased 50 3'rd quarter kits and they sent me a spare float for every kit I purchased. That tells me that the speed carb has a float issue to start.

I'm sure its something simple..

Keep us posted..

Justin

TurboGoat

Oct 26, 2009
Ruston, LA
ugh. new mix, no kill switch, gapped plug, bigger hill, nada, I'll open up the carb in the morning to check the float. thanks for the thoughts guys.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Turbo G,

Although very stressful for you now. When that motor fires up it will put a smile on your face no matter what. Keep poking at it and you'll get it. I promise! Some are trouble right out the box unfortunately.

Justin

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
i like that chain you have on the big ring in the front.
good luck getting it going
That is a great idea right there. My front sproket also is not set up for a gaurd and just loves to catch my pant leg when starting off!

It's also funny how things seem to work out the next day too! My bike died on me a couple days ago (bad wire on the magneto) but the next day the trouble was found and fixed, its a challenge but very rewarding.

Last edited:

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Turbo G,

Although very stressful for you now. When that motor fires up it will put a smile on your face no matter what. Keep poking at it and you'll get it. I promise! Some are trouble right out the box unfortunately.

Justin
I love that feeling, it's worth it fo sho. Heck it still brings a smile to my face.

midatlanticcycle

Apr 14, 2009
leola, pa.
Goat: looks like you did a nice job there. ditch your chinese sparkplug and go with the recommended B5HS or B6HS NGK. have had over 12 of these kits in last 3 years and all have had junk plugs. betting it will start with new NGK.

TurboGoat

Oct 26, 2009
Ruston, LA
alright so I've eliminated all potential culprits. new plug and boot, float is a-ok. choke, no choke, some choke, the white wire kills spark as it should and is taped up and not responsible. **** it didn't do **** with carb cleaner in the combustion chamber. I'm at a total loss here. I bought three kits and I'm tempted to abandon this one temporarily and start another. spark fuel compression WHAT AM I MISSING?? :-||

TurboGoat

Oct 26, 2009
Ruston, LA
nah man, i'm definately pedaling the motor, plenty of compression, and I'm pumping fuel through the motor as I've got dribbles of unburned fuel through the exhaust.

Could there be a reason the the spark plug would fire on the head but not in the chamber? that's the only thing I can think of right now.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Check the mag connections(to the coil) make sure there not too close to the frame (Arc when pedaling) that'll kill the spark. A note to save you some trouble(I ignored this advice for the "test" run) AND I paid the piper... do something to secure the Chain Tensioner/roller to the frame, weld or drill a hole and put a loctite screw into frame(thru tensioner), it is under a huge load during starting or engine "braking", when it rotates in (due to the cantilever force applied) an it WILL rotate in, Right in to the spokes...
Happened to me!

Mac

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Once you drown the plug it can give you a spark while it is out in the air but not fire when under the stress of compression. It just goes to the path of least resistance.
I keep new plugs in a drawer for just such occasions.
Here is what I would do- spin the engine over for a bit with no plug in and fuel off. Put the plug in /choke off / wide open throttle and try to start it. If it fires and stalls - repeat with carb at idle setting.
Since the float is suspect, you might take the carb off and see if it drips fuel before you do the above.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you say you have "dribbles of unburned fuel through the exhaust?"

you might have flooded it, or your float may be filling up with fuel, or the float-tabs are bent wrong.

fuel coming out of the exhaust would mean too much, and it's fouling your plug.