Chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lilffihn,
You'll need a tool called a 'chain breaker' or do like many of us do and remove links the old hard way by grinding the pins and punching them out with a hammer and a punch. I do not own a chain breaker and I've heard that the cheaper ones found at Walmart do not stand up to the task. A good motorcycle, and some bicycle shops will be able to do the job for you but you'll need an exact measurement, or take the bike to them to do the work.
The chain is called a 'roller chain' and unless you purchase a 'half link' you'll need to remove two links at a time, not just one. The master link requires two identical rollers. sort of a male/female thing, like a garden hose, to join the ends, if that makes sense. Hope this helps. If not get back to us and we'll try to get you going.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O IF yer talkin' about regular bike chain - yeah it's fine and the link is handy, but if yer talkin bout the chain for the engine that extra master link wont fit and the Walmart breaker failed me on it's first attempt - it's far too small for the 415 chain supplied with these kits let alone the upgraded 41 chain, it can work but it doesn't seem worth the trouble even at only $5. The drive pin doesn't align with the chain's pin (it's for regular bike chain) and the alloy the breaker is made of is substandard, the first is frustrating - the second ends any further attempts lol;

To quote myself from another thread :D;
I've tried about every method there is... except a proper chain breaking tool lol Funny - as we have a "professional" one at work, huge and bench mounted :p

I've found the easiest method by far (other than the proper tool ofc lol) is to grind down one pin flush and instead of trying to drive it out with a hammer & nail or w/e - cut one side of the link itself. Now you can twist that tab to the side a bit and simply pop it off with a pair of pliers - the pin and other side of the link will now fall right out.

While you do need a lil cutoff wheel to do this, it's so much easier than trying to drive the pin out - I wouldn't do it any other way. ;)

Last edited:

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
o_O IF yer talkin' about regular bike chain - yeah it's fine and the link is handy, but if yer talkin bout the chain for the engine that extra master link wont fit and the Walmart breaker failed me on it's first attempt - it's far too small for the 415 chain supplied with these kits let alone the upgraded 41 chain, it can work but it doesn't seem worth the trouble even at only $5. The drive pin doesn't align with the chain's pin (it's for regular bike chain) and the alloy the breaker is made of is substandard, the first is frustrating - the second ends any further attempts lol;

To quote myself from another thread :D;
I found a heavy duty chain tool made for the bigger chain at Habor Freight for about $12.00

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yep - good tip! But as we not only carry that tool where I work, we're a "tool warehouse" outlet as well - as such Harbor Freight is our nemesis, I might get tarred & feathered for such sacrilege :p

I suppose that also means I have no excuse for not havin' the proper tool... *sigh*

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the chain breaker i bought from walmart did fit my 415 chain and it comes with 2 master link sizes and one of them does fit the 415 chain. the pin lines up perfect with my chain and i used the breaker atleast 10 times.

by the way the master link is on my chain right now.