New twist clutch lever!

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

mebbe...

Naw - I think I'll keep alla my levers and whatnot, still for some uber-tidy chopper er sumfin' they'd be sweet!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I use the 3 speed twist shifter found on most bikes for the clutch and it works great. I had to take off the front derailer for engine clearance anyway so it was an extra part. The ratcheting action of the grip shift is plenty to lock the clutch. Over 500 miles nad no problems.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/first-build-diamondback-outlook-10802.html
Hmmm... I have some old twist shifters from the days of three speed bikes. I wonder if one of those would work.
SB

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
SB- Try it and I bet you'll like it. I just built another bike for my father in law and had to use the regular clutch lever. The cruiser style bars on his had too many bends and didn't allow for the grip shift to slide all the way in.

If I didn't fully appreciate the grip shift clutch before, I do now! The traditional method clutch seems crowd out the bars too much and makes it tough to use the front brake. I know many use the dual pull brakes but I don't trust them. Seems like too much could go wrong with them.

microbore

Oct 5, 2009
Mass
I use the 3 speed twist shifter found on most bikes for the clutch and it works great. I had to take off the front derailer for engine clearance anyway so it was an extra part. The ratcheting action of the grip shift is plenty to lock the clutch. Over 500 miles nad no problems.
Derailleur shifters make excellent clutch levers. I'm using a Shimano Rapid-fire shifter from my collection of spare parts.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
my wrists hurt just thinking about it.
Which is better would depend on the individual. It would just be a matter of preference for some and for others they might find the twisting action either easier or less painful to arthritic hands, for example. Since I have some old three speed shifters I think I''ll try one to see for myself. Maybe I won't like it. Maybe I will. If I don't try it, then I guess I'll never know.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol silverbear - a "suicide" clutch (I usually hear it called a suicide shift) on a motorcycle is simply a foot clutch and a tank shift, called that cause you gotta let go the bars to shift and/or some of the rocker foot clutches didn't lock or it would fail. They would happily launch you into crosstraffic if you teetered a lil and needed to put yer foot on the pavement at a stop light - forgetting to put yer bike in neutral first ;)

Had one, sux shiftin' on turns & startin' on hills lol... guess that'd be more reasons heh but dang they've got style!

*Btw, if yer curious I had a 1978 Harley Davidson Police Special tankshift, hardtail, shovelhead, & rigged for sidecar as stock - similar to the one in the second pic (but none of the flashy lights lol). After 2 years building it I got to ride it for a month before it was stolen... That was the end of Harleys fer me.

Never did get good at shiftin' the bedang thing lol

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
lol silverbear - a "suicide" clutch (I usually hear it called a suicide shift) on a motorcycle is simply a foot clutch and a tank shift, called that cause you gotta let go the bars to shift and/or some of the rocker foot clutches didn't lock or it would fail. They would happily launch you into crosstraffic if you teetered a lil and needed to put yer foot on the pavement at a stop light - forgetting to put yer bike in neutral first ;)

Had one, sux shiftin' on turns & startin' on hills lol... guess that'd be more reasons heh but dang they've got style!

*Btw, if yer curious I had a 1978 Harley Davidson Police Special tankshift, hardtail, shovelhead, & rigged for sidecar as stock - similar to the one in the second pic (but none of the flashy lights lol). After 2 years building it I got to ride it for a month before it was stolen... That was the end of Harleys fer me.

Never did get good at shiftin' the bedang thing lol
Shows what I don't know...
Nice bike. I don't see where the pedals are, though.
SB
SB

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
can you imagine pedaling a full size modern harley?
it would be jsut about almost as bad as trying to pedal one of those e-bike scoots!

suicide shift BTW is coparable to driving heavy equipment. usually awkward and strange at first but after many a month in the seat it becomes natural...

i had an old dirtbike with a redneck stick shift on it for a month or two a few years ago man did she fly, it was a variant on HD suicide shift tho because it had its hand clutch mounted on the "stick" it was a permanant "one hander" :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
can you imagine pedaling a full size modern harley?
it would be jsut about almost as bad as trying to pedal one of those e-bike scoots!

suicide shift BTW is coparable to driving heavy equipment. usually awkward and strange at first but after many a month in the seat it becomes natural...

i had an old dirtbike with a redneck stick shift on it for a month or two a few years ago man did she fly, it was a variant on HD suicide shift tho because it had its hand clutch mounted on the "stick" it was a permanant "one hander" :)
I tried pedaling a Honda PA50 that wouldn't run. I made it about half a block, too. I was told later that the pedal was just for starting the motor. I kind of figured that out on my own, I wonder what the solex is like as a pedal bike. I don't know if any of them had gears, but I don't think so. I was looking at that frame again and it would be nice for one of those EZmotor 4 strokes. I like the older more rounded solex frames better than the newer squared off tubing. Looks like erector set construction. The old ones were really classy. An old frame would make an interesting step through build for an engine with some scoot.
SB