Who rides to work?

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I ride FOR work...does that count ???
I live with my daughter and her family, and taking the grandkids to school/playground/for a ride is part of my 'job description' :) rotfl

scooterhoot

Aug 2, 2009
Britton,mi
.shft.I put my red rat together as a comuter bike, $120 for engine kit, & $2 for the bike.It's a bit different the my harley days, butin this economy I'm cutting cost wearever I can. have 20 mi round trip on the main rd, but if trafic is too heavy 38 mi on back roads. Witch are smooth as silk here in Michigan (half the time I have ride the center line to stay out of the pot holes) but the cars don't go much faster then I. Dealing with pot hole is safer the semi, gravel trains, and cell phone talkers.

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
i ride to work. its about 10 miles round trip. very therapeutic.... really allows me to blow off the negitive energy on the way home from work. :)

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I ride to work and school every day. 8 miles one way. Here in Tucson though it has been a hot hot summer, I can notice a huge difference in my engines performance between riding in at 6am when its cool out and riding home at 5pm when its hot. I dont mind my morning ride, but I often find myself procrastinating before riding home, to make it later when I do. It sucks riding in the heat. But I love the ride

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
pitchfork i hear your plight.

my bike runs way better in the morning than afternoon however on the mornings where the fog is thick enough to coat me in a fine layer of h20 it runs bad. same in the rain.

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
I have made four 24 mile round trips breaking my engine in from S Minneapolis to east St. Paul. I've had trouble every day but one. Chain issues mostly. I think all the basic bugs are out. I plan on riding in to work 2-3 days a week weather permitting until late fall arrives.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
When I finally had all my issues solved it was great. Chain was working nice. I had an upgraded KMC420 chain, spacers in my wheel to make it line up, skateboard wheel roller. I had it running great. Slant head, custom HIGH compression head gasket. Running high octain fuel otherwise it would ping like crazy when it warmed up. And it ran like that nice for about 100 miles. But apparently slant head and very high compression was a bit to much torque for the frame... Going up hill at about 15mph and I floored it. CRACK goes the down tube :( sad day.

Last edited:

captaingeech

Oct 12, 2009
Yuma, AZ
I ride mine to work 4 days a week, about 7 miles round trip. It's much more fun than driving in. The car always makes me stressed out, and it's just so much more pleasant to bike in. I actually look forward to my commute.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I ride a minimum of 16 miles a day, My MTB is the only way i get around as i dont have a liscence right now, some of my rides across Tucson and home are 50 to 60 miles and i role in the drive on fumes, i love my mtbike, a little gen maintance and the occasional flat and she purs like a kitten, i think i am riding 150-200 miles a week!!!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
wes i easily do over 200 a week on mine, then again it is barley broken in. I cruise 13 kms on 3/4 throttle with occasional climbs to what i think is topmost lol

i ride my bike fairly hard, it is only getting better. i dont like to rev it out tho... i can tell it doesnt like it rough so i should have my shift kit in a few weeks to solve the wind out stress.

30 kms to a dollar? **** yea.

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hello,
Last year I rode just about every day to work about 8 miles each way. I saved some money on gas and was a car down si insurance was a savings. Now I have a car again but still look forward to a non rainy day ride to and from work. I might look a little silly being a middle aged guy in dress clothes, helmet and a 20" wheel chopper bike with ape hangers, but it is fun and cheap.
Jim

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
^ if i was on the outside looking in at your ride and apparel i wouldnt know weather to think you were a father on his kids bike, or a badass economist!

moyman56

Jul 15, 2009
pennsylvania
Just wondering how many people ride their MBs to work. I rely on mine right now since my 92 laser awd is under the knife. I put 8 miles on my machine per day up and down hills the whole way. It's a real joy to not have to pedal after a 10 hour day of manual labor and the mileage is saving me money!
I do. well, use to. (layed off). They like the whizzer but, really like my ww2 army bike.

Rodcaym

Feb 11, 2009
Albuquerque
I bout my MB to ride to work. 5 mile trip each way but on the way back its all crazy up hill! I will ride it to work for the first time on saturday.

Homer

Apr 20, 2009
SW Houston
I ride to work every day rain or shine and twice in the last two years in snow lol.
My ride is only a mile and half each way, and I go home for lunch which is great.
I normally get a good 25 mile run in every Saturday to find my zen point.
No hills to speak of hear in Houston.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i ride my MB to work, as often as I can... rain or shine... it's almost 20kms one way, so about 40kms per day... but now something is wrong with my engine :(, it starts, but does'nt run, engine stops after running a few minutes, sounds like the piston/ crank getting stuck :( 20:1 ratio... have'nt checked anything yet, have'nt got the time yet... maybe it was because I rode it in the rain, then left it untouched for 3 weeks... i miss riding my MB... :(

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Check to make sure your head nuts aren't coming loose causing low compression and not running right. Also 20:1 is ridiculously rich.