Hello from Ireland

GoldenMotor.com

sam1304

Jun 6, 2009
dublin, ireland
hi my name is sam, i'm 19 from dublin ireland and have just started getting in to the mb scene. i have just ordered myself a 2009 Schwinn Classic AL Cruiser, and a 69.7cc Starfire GenI GT4. it should all arrive on wednesday. i'll keep ye's updated. also if there are any other irish riders out there gizz a shout.

* Frame: Light Alloy Classic Cantilever Design; 7000 Series Alloy, Kickstand, Fender & Rack Mounts
* Fork: Steel Unicrown w/ Rack Mounts
* Bottom Bracket: One piece 24 tpi
* Rims: Alloy 26" x 2.125 x 36 holes
* Hubs: Schwinn approved 2-speed kick back Coaster Brake, 36H
* Tires: Whitewall
* Brake Levers: Alloy
* Stem: Phantom Alloy
* Saddle: Schwinn Classic Padded Dual Spring Saddle
* Extras: Two-Tone Paint, Clear Coat, Feather-style C/G, Schwinn Classic Padded Dual Spring Saddle and fenders
* Color: White/Red

i was slightly worried about mounting do you think it should go on without any problems or mods? all info would be great.
and i look forward to meeting you all.
cheers
Samdnut

Attachments

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
well, u should mount it above the tire, take off rear wheel, and weld on a gear in da middle.
if you cant do that, make a friction drive. basicaly, take a meadle cylinder, like a peg, and attch ot to the spinny part on ur motor. mount the motor an the back, and make sure the peg/cylander makes contact wit the tire.

PS: my name is Sam too!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Sam, welcome. Great bike. I am partial to the cruisers. Gonna look sweet!. One thing you might want to consider is front brakes as they really, really help. I have a cheap, knock off version of Schwinn and on her 3rd engine. A lil TLC on the wheels and she has about 3K miles on and is still ridding great.

Great to meet you and post lots of pics!

Attachments

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Hey Sam, welcome to the forum,theres lots of great people and information here.The bike looks like it should work great,one thing you should do though, PLEASE either beef up the mounting tabs on the front fender or take it off,the original one will break,and the fender will wrap around the tire,and you can imagine the rest,its not good. Anyway glad you joined us, have fun. David usflg

sam1304

Jun 6, 2009
dublin, ireland
thank you all for making me feel welcome and for the info. i had been planing on putting a couple of v brakes on it. and thanks for the heads up on the front fender problem. i just can't wait for my parts to get here.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. You may need need to make a front motor mount with a muffler clamp or buy an oversized tubing mount since your frame is aluminum and the down tube is fatter than steel. Installation should otherwise be straight forward.

I agree about the need for a front brake, especially since you will be riding in wet wx.

I visited Ireland a few years back and it was worth every penny. Cheers

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Colly, welcome. There was a (I believe) a Swedish outfit but I can't find a link. Dax ships outside the U.S. ThatsDax.com
We offer no warranty for sales outside the United States. If you are outside the Lower 48 United States, make sure to get a shipping quote before buying.
Call 303-459-2780 and ask for Duane" I am sure most of the sponsors here would ship as well.

If ya don't find some thing more local, I would suggest an upper end kit. Shipping parts would be a killer $ wise.

I always wondered why there are so few if any dealers in Europe?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey there Sam, O I wanna go to Ireland so bad. It calls to me! Bike looks good should get away with your 66cc without to much trouble, listen to those guys about the fender reinforcments. Welcome to the Hobby/obsession

billyhigginz

Aug 13, 2010
Ireland
hello lads . im from ireland too. i recently acquired myself a driving ban , can i ride a bicycle like these with a motor attached without a license on public roads? if not, in all seriousness, if the cops turned up could i quickly switch it off and pedal ?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Billy. Welcome. Bummer about the ban. Yeppers, can "ghost peddle" Think electric might be safer if getting cought would mean hand cuffs. The 2 strokes are not any louder then the 4 strokes, I don't think but they do turn heads. They have a pitch at wide open throttle like an angry weed whacker whose nest has been disturbed.

I read a bunch of web sites but is not clear to me if you can. Found these;
moped laws in Ireland - Google Search

Information for moped riders : Directgov - Motoring

Information for moped riders : Directgov - Motoring

Search results : Directgov - Search results

billyhigginz

Aug 13, 2010
Ireland
Cheers for the info. I'm guessing it would be "illegal", I got done for "operating a mechanically propelled vehicle" on a public highway. Unfortunately i was un-insured it the time. my own fault , but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Although i really dont see how an electric bike is any different , its still mechanically propelled , just with electricity as the fuel? ? ? But , i know for a fact , electric bikes are road legal. I guess its quite an unusual concept the whole petrol bicycle, if i were a cop i wouldnt look twice at a bicycle coming towards me. Providing i could turn off the engine quick enough should the worst come to the worst and deny i was "mechanically propelling" myself i guess it would be all sweet :D wheres the proof. Its not a crime to attatch an engine to your bike. haha If i were tootling down the road on a 125 motorbike, I'd be banged to rights. I dont plan on using it around town , just along the 8 miles or so of country road i travel to work. and then switch to pedal power when i get into a built up area. Its probably an awful idea posting it on here , and using my name as a user name. But, again . Hindsight. haha :)