chain breaking

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
Ok so I have that expensive tool used to break chains. The only problem is im having a great deal of difficuly getting the particular component i need in each end of the chain. It seems to be one of thoes small logic puzzles that im having a hard time wrapping my head around..ne help?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Is this the type of chain breaker you are talking about? If it is I hate these things. For years I have always used a bench grinder to shorten chains. Just grind the ends off the pins, and tap it apart with a punch. Any kind of grinder will work, even a dremel tool.

John

Attachments

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Wish I knew how to describe the parts but lets just say that the master link is a male. You want both ends of the chain to have the female parts (the parts without the outer jacket)
In this pic the top would be the male and the bottom would be the female. The way the chain is now, it will go together with just the pin and that is OK but if you wanted to use a master link the outer casing would have to be removed.

Attachments

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
I think I am understanding.. but maybe not. Every other link in a chain is either wide or narrow. The master link is wide. You need to take one more link off, or put one more link on, to make both sides of the chain thin so that you can connect the master link to it. Does that help?

Jun 25, 2008
I put a nut under the chain and tap out the pins halfway with a centre punch, works great. To rejoin, just tap the pin back in with the hammer.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That's how I do it too Tiger , with the nut but first I squeeze the pin flat with the chain with vise grips so that the punch is easier to centre on the pin when hitting it with a hammer. I remember grinding the ends off the pins thinking they were mushroomed but they are not. I had such a hard time believing it.
Once you get over your fear it's a five minute job.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I would think your chain is either way to tight or has to be rubbing on something, or the master link hitting something. I have had 5 motorcycles and for Motorbikes and never broke a chain at the master link. That is what I would look at first.

John

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Other than you putting the clip on the wrong way, I really don't know.
The closed nose of the link should go with the direction of travel. The other way, the clip can catch and release itself.
Do you have a link or two left from your kit? Go with no link! Read above....hammer,punch and a nut under the link/pin. It may seem hard but once it moves, you will see. Vise grips work great to close it when on the bike.