"Flying Eagle", ever heard of one?

GoldenMotor.com

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Need some help. I picked up this ladies bike as a donor for my next project, but i can't seem to find ANYTHING about it on the interwebs. Judging by the materials and workmanship, i'm guessing it's 70s, but could be much older.

Before i cut this beautiful bicycle up for my franken-project, I wanted to know more about it. No girls bikes are worth gold, but if this thing is somewhat "special" i'll find another donor.

Single speed coaster, fat tire bike. 26" wheel cruiser type of bike.

Any assistance knowing more about it would be appreciated.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool badge.

I've never heard of 'em but are there any numbers below and underneath the bottom bracket?

Some times get lucky and that gives you all sorts of information

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Could be a re-badged Murray. Many Sears and Western Flyers are re-badged Murrays. There is some expertise on Ratrodbikes.com/
I could post your question there if you aren't a member.
To determine who actually made the frame. we would need to see pics of the rear dropouts,
the way the chain guard attaches, and some other details.

Last edited:

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
I'll see what i can do this weekend to dig it out and take some pictures, and gather the numbers off the frame. It's a fairly cool bike, i was hoping my daughter would take it to school with her, but she wants something modern. I just found it odd that i can't google/bing/yahoo the slightest information on it.

The previous owner did some sort of faux patena on it, so it's no longer "original", but the guy did a really good job making it look awesome. I kinda over paid for it at $80 bucks, but if i decide to go forward as this bike being my donor, it'll work out great, and i'm going to try to keep all/most of this paint and patina. With the right peices and parts in just the right places, i'll be able to hide my add ons and continue with the theme.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a member on that other site, but i'll check it out, maybe go post over there myself if their friendly to noob questions.

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Took me a while, the bike was behind my camper in the garage.....

Took a few more pics of the Flying Eagle. Haven't cut it up yet :).

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Anyway, sometime this summer, this will be my next project, unless i discover this is a very rare and valuable gem....it's going to get converted to a boys bike, motored, and given a bit of a vintage motorcycle spin of some sort. 1903 Harley was my original idea, but we'll see where creativity takes this.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
It has a lugged frame and a 3 piece, cottered crank set. Yet it's a 26x1.75 tire and rim bike.

This is an anomalous bike. I'm guessing it's either Dutch, Austrian or English made and built to American specs.

American cruisers of this type ( most likely late 50's through the 60's, generally have one piece cranks, and the frame tubes are lightly fillet brazed or pierced/internally arc welded.

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Thanks for the info Citi,
Of all the bikes i've picked up over the years, i can usually find tons of info on it, this one is interesting, can't find a darn thing about it online.

Being that it's a girls bike, and it has been painted over/artificially patina'ed, i think i'm moving forward with the hack saw. Should make for an interesting canvas.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Nice bike and a good start,have to keep a watch on this to see what you come up with........................Curt

flaughert

May 20, 2014
Milford, OH
If thats a Shelby flying eagle I'd do some a search for Shelby bicycles on ebay before i started cutting, thats what it looks like, could be valuable.

Last edited: